1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new plow/new user question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Bigcat99, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

I ordered a new Boss 7'6" Power V for my Chevy 1500 crew 5.3L Z71 last week. Local guy I'm buying it from called today and said that his wholesaler only got in 8'2" version, and they can't give him a date when their next order will arrive.He says he can get me a 8'2" right away, will get it on my truck and would see how it sits. We had already discussed adding timbrens for the front end. If I don't feel comfortable with the extra weight, he said he will get me the smaller one. I don't want to wait any longer than I have to, so my main question at this point is... anyone think the 8'2" is too big for my truck?

ps. The main reason for the purchase is to do residential drives, mainly for friends and neighbors. However, I am open to the possibility of doing more, given the opportunity.
  2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Click on the boss link at top of page and then use the match system to see if your truck can handle it. In my opinion I'd say no to the 8.2 but thats my non expert opinion as I am a western man
  3. huss691981

huss691981 Member

imho, yes, but could be wrong, meyer here.
  4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

ANy 8ft would be to heavy. Try CPW they ship plows. If you really want the 7.6 call around to all the dealers, Some one may have one
  5. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

thanks guys, I just called Boss directly and they wouldn't reccomend anything over a 7'6" for my truck's current specs. I am just going to have to wait a bit, as the difference in cost of the plows would not compare to potential damages to the truck.
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

How much additional weight can there be in 8" of plow?

I would go for the 8'2" either one is going to tear up a half ton JMO
  7. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

The difference in weight is only 70lbs. Personally having had a 7.5 footer prior to my 8'2" VXT I would absolutely go with the 8'2". Timbrens up front and you'll be set.
  8. BigDave12768

70 pounds of Plow weight has nothing to do with the extra weight in snow it will grab. Thats where you really destroy the trucks Tranny and front end. Plus the frame isnt as strong as the 3/4 ton
  9. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I really disagree with that. I know guys who run big plows on 1/2 tons and have no issues because they don't plow like idiots. How much additional weight in snow do you really think 8" is going to pickup. I'm not the guy who engineered any of this stuff but I think the weight we're talking about here is comes a far second to the operator.
  10. BigDave12768

the 1500 is a Grocery getter. They are a lot lighter than the 2500 package. the 7.6 is the limit. As low as the Chevys sit I wouldnt want to put amy more weight on the front end
  11. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

Order it from CPW, they ship quick and its super easy to assemble yourself
  12. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

I have to agree with BigDave
  13. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

The gentleman that ordered it - & is installing it for me - said that he put a few 8'2" versions (& timbrens) on newer 1500 Chevy's that didn't have Z71 package. I guess he's been installing and repairing these plows for over 25 years - even handling most repair work for the local MN DNR dept & numerous local construction companies run to him for repairs during the night. He admitted that he initially was a bit leary of doing those other 1/2 tons, but these prior customers insisted. He says he has not heard of truck issues so far with those people this winter. But again, was willing to let me see how it looked after it was on the truck with the timbrens.

My concern isn't at all with how many passes I would need to complete a driveway, but is more so with doing as much as I can upfront to maximize the life of tranny and other major components on the vehicle. I will not be beating the crap out of this truck to make maximum mula. Even so, I am looking at it from the standpoint that an extra $100 up front for the bigger version is nothing compared to what it could cost me IF something happened to the tranny, suspension, etc.. IF I decide that things look promising enough to get into the business full time, I would definitely get a 2500HD, and trade up in plow size.

Again, thanks a lot for all your input!
  14. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Plugging in your vehicle specs on BOSS's plow selector, it only recommends the sport duty plows as an application. Considering the 7'6" Sport Duty plow weighs in at 421 lbs. and the 7'6" Power-V weighs in at 700 lbs. one should definitely consider the amount weight difference on the front axle. We run a 8'2" V on a crew cab 2500 with wings, have timbrens installed, and have had to replace leaking axle seals and tie rods from the front end bottoming out...
    I agree with the others, most damage to a vehicle in plowing is operator error (or ignorance if you will), just be aware with independent front suspension you will have problems.
    On the flip side, I absolutely love running the BOSS v-plows and would not consider running anything else. Just my two cents...
  15. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

I have a 1500 and boss said the 7'6" Straight blade is the right one for me, I dont have the crewcab so you probly have a slightly larger truck but I would have to say that the 7'6" is the right one the 8'2" is to big