1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow making a grinding or gurgling sound?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JimRoss, Jan 10, 2011.

1. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

I've noticed it a couple times now. Pushed a couple small piles. Went to lift the blade and I heard a weird noise, as the blade started to pick up. Then just as sudden, the sound smoothed out to the normal hydro sound. Plow is brand new. I'm used to an old Western, so I wasnt sure what I was hearing.

Tonight, as I was disconnecting the plow, I placed the Smarthitch2 toggle up to disingauge the mount, then toggled down to lower the tower. As it lowered, it made that weird grinding/gurgling sound again. Hard to explain the noise, but it doesnt sound normal to me.

Is this normal? It doesnt do it all the time.

On Edit:

Now that I think about it. I kind of sounds like an old worn out screen door closer.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No it shouldn't be making any out of the ordinary sounds so something definitely isn't right. You can check the easy things yourself though such as the fluid level, making sure the pump unit-to-tower bolts are tight and also that the motor-to-manifold mounting bolts aren't loose and all your electrical connections are tight, both truck and plow side. Some of this will require pump cover removal.

If it requires any more than that head back to your dealer and allow them to take care of it.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Your hydro fluid level is low. I had the same problem the other day (Saturday).
    I believe trans fluid works too if your in need of it but boss hydro fluid would be best.

4. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

Its brand new, just installed. I have only plowed twice with it ( my driveway ), and both times was only 1-2 inches of snow. I just assumed the dealer had it full, and I didnt think it needed to be checked so soon.

I guess I should check it. If it's full, I'll try trouble shooting, as B&B suggested.

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

It is because of the viscosity of the hydro fluid. Kinda like oil when you pour it into a funnel as opposed to water, water will go down faster but but the oil has a higher viscosity so it slows down.
    That being said they could have thought it was filled but it realy wasn't until it had all settled.

6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I have no threshold for incompetent lazy ass dealers of any sort if this is indeed just a low oil problem.I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that if it is low due to dealer screw-up,it has ATF instead of the correct red Boss oil.I remember 12 years ago,when new,my fleabag dealer did the same thing to my plow.

7. RibcoSupply

RibcoSupply Junior Member

I wouldn't jump to the gurgling being the wrong fluid, however low fluid is a possibility. If the dealer filled the hydraulic reservoir but never ran the plow the first time you run it the fluid would fill all the hoses and piston draining down the reservoir. This would explain why the noise is intermittent. As you lift and lower the plow the level of fluid in the reservoir will fill and empty to run the system. When the fluid gets to low and the pump is exposed it will grind and gurgle trying to pump air. Never the less the dealer should have caught that, I know I would never let a plow leave my lot low on fluid.

8. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

What about when you are stacking. Is it unusual to hear some sort of noise when you are stacking a scoop load of snow and raising the plow up?

9. RibcoSupply

RibcoSupply Junior Member

If you have issues with noise while stacking it could also be a baffle issue. Next to the fluid return port in the hydraulic reservoir is a baffle plate designed to prevent to fluid from sloshing around to much, and to slow the returning fluid down as it returns to the reservoir. If this baffle has come free and slid to the end of the reservoir the returning fluid could in effect create waves in the tank causing the pump to intermittently go in and out of the fluid. This is much more rare of an occurrence. The baffle can be visualized by taking of the 90degree fill port on the side of the head gear and looking into the reservoir.

10. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

It's low on fluid. How low, I dont know yet. I could not see anything, looking down into the filler spout on the side. I called the local auto parts and asked if they had BOSS brand fliud. They confirmed they did ( $9.60 a quart ). I get there and it's got the word BOSS on the front, but an asteric next to it. On the back it states it is not brand specific ( a generic brand ).

I hope generic fliud is ok? I havent put any in yet, wanted to hear from you guys first. It's a light grey bottle with white label with " BOSS " on the front.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like the universal stuff (which isn't). What color is it Jim? If it's red it's ok, if it isn't DON'T add it.

12. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

It's red. I'm a little PO'd having to pay so much for generic. But what to do when you live in a small town.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's fine to use. Same exact stuff that comes in a black bottle with a fancy label right from a Boss dealer...just without the fancy label.

Fluid is one the most basic spare things to have on hand. Sounds like your dealer didn't suggest that at purchase time.

14. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

Thanx for the info.

I'm not 100% happy with that dealer at the moment. If they couldn't bother to make sure the pump was full, then did they cheap out on something else during the install? Am I going to have smoking wires in the future? Makes me nervous..... I did call them and tell them it was low on fluid. I asked them if I should use ATF or BOSS fluid. Figured if they just used ATF, they would recommend such. But, they said to use BOSS fluid only, so I hope thats what they used to start with.

15. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

update: No more gurgling....

I put a full quart in it. Still didnt have fluid up the elbow. I called the dealer and let them know my dis-satisfaction. They told me to bring it back and they would go through the whole setup, including draining and refilling the pump. Their 25 miles away, so I'll pass. He told me next time I'm up there, to stop in and they'ed give me a quart of fluid to replace what I had bought.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  16. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Hopefully it was an honest mistake and not total incompetence from the dealer. On the bright side, they will probably go out of the way to make sure your plow is 100% if you need service if they want to save their reputation.

17. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I had the same thing happen when the dealer replaced the lift cylinder and whatever else they did ... they forgot to top up the fluid and what a noise. He told me to just keep working it and it would get better as the air was worked out ... of course it didn't. You'll know pretty quick when you're down nearly a full quart of oil anyhow ;)