1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow looking for help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by BIGGB9, Sep 13, 2014.

1. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

Hey all I am undecided on a new plow for my 2014 Ram 2500. I do all large commercial accounts I have always had straight blades. I have had mostly had poly plow because of less maintenance. I see that most of western newer plow are steel. I just hate having to know I will have to paint it down the road. I am just looking for the pros and cons of all western plow configurations wideout, V or straight in steel,poly or SS and what you all think would work best for me. Thanks for the input
  2. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

The Paint depend how well you keep it, storage. Mines a 2008 and its mint. stored inside and washed and fluid filmed every year. Idk about poly, but id think steel would give you a cleaner road because its heavier. and if you get big snow a v blade is good breaking down the big piles and wideouts are good for huge parking lots. and straights are okay but Id say v blade or wideouts are the biggest time saver.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think you'll find the poly plows are heavier then steel.
    The new plows have much better paint and look better far longer, with blizzard being the exception.
    Wash it after plowing and don't store it in sunlight during the off seasons and the paint should be good for a long time.
    For large commercial I would buy the wideout and I believe they only come in steel.
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the wideout.

Washing and upkeep is all it takes to keep it looking good.
  5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I've never done anything special to my 2007 steel MVP - get washed ocassionally during the winter when I wash the salt off of the truck. Still looks fine.
  6. bytheyardlandsc

bytheyardlandsc Member
    from ohio

Boss 8.2 with pro wings. In poly , and yes poly plows are heavier. Have 4 boss plows will not ever change. Had myers for 10 years . Way less maintenance will the boss.
  7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Have a closer look at the poly, they still have a steel frame that rusts just as fast as a full metal blade. And as others are saying, poly is generally heavier for the same size blade. Steel is heavier but consider how thick the poly sheets are, 1/2 the weight but three times the thickness, adds up to more weight.
    I agree with the cleaning thing, I have my wide-out now for 4 years, keep it inside my shop on a heavy shelf, off the damp ground and away from the weeds / moisture. I have a few scratches but the paint is certainly good for another four years I believe. The paint they use at the factory is very good quality these days.
  8. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

So it sounds like the wideout is the way to go. and issues with the wideout like with the wings
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

so it rusts, as long as you can plow with it who cares what it looks like, Don't be one of those guys who drive around with the little flags on the plow guides.
  10. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

LOL LOL Grandview I am not that guy with the western flags I see no point in them myself
  11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Hes just jealous that boss don't have flags
  12. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

Nothing wrong with the flags.
  13. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Damn - they make flags????
  14. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

Ha! What's wrong with having the flags? They're just a little extra 'bling' for an already awesome blade!
  15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

They're annoying. They bend the plow marker over while driving and it's a dead giveaway, "look at me, this is my first year plowing".
  16. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I like the flags I ran them from the 80s to 09 New plows comes with sticks no flags

I think the flags is a eye catcher But they are thing of the past
  17. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Wide out is great. But an 9.6mvp with wings is bigger. Think around 11'
  18. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

polys stay the cleanest w/o rust . iv seen 504stainless moldboards with rust weeps on them . when you get down to it is a plow and if it does what its intended to your fine . but I see no problem with having fun and looking good while working . I used to have all the bells and whistles on my equipment until year after year they kept blowing off or getting damaged .
  19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

20. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Where did you put all the bells and whistles?