1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow lights

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dodgegmc1213, Feb 20, 2013.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

i have the old rectangular plow lights on my 8ft xblade as you can see in my signature picture. thinking of upgrading to the new nite sabers 2 by meyers, they look nice or even the new intensifier. has anyone done this before? if so what did you have to do with the wires to make them work with your harness? also if theres any pics would love to see them.
    thanks, ryan

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Intensifires are a direct swap and come wired with a plug

3. dodgegmc1213

i thought so but i read somewhere that it might need an adapter

4. 2006Sierra1500

Depends on what headgear you have. I believe if its a 2 stud headgear the lift arm should miss the lights. From the pic it looks like you have a riser anyways. You'd need new ones however for the 2 stud lights. If you want to keep the lights you can just put HIDs in

5. dodgegmc1213

6. 2006Sierra1500

That adapter is the headlight wiring I believe. You should be fine. that replaces 3 plug lights so your fine.

7. dodgegmc1213

thats if i go with them. im really liking the nite saber 2

8. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

i have the old lights too and i am thinking of trying to put different bulbs in them to make them brighter
    sorry to hijack the thread apparently they already have the sylvania bulbs
    i dont feel like spending the money on the adapter for my plow and the new lights would be like 300 bucks in total. i wouldn't mind spending a hundred or so to slap some new bulbs in

9. dodgegmc1213

the lights are fine they work and shine enough light i just wanted something more new and nicer. kinda tired of lookin at those squared things lol

10. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I recently bought a 2005 8' western pro plow and it had the old lights but had the holes for the new ones. For me, it was just a matter of removing the old ones and installing the new ones.

11. 2006Sierra1500

I'm considering buying 2 pairs for my plows with the 2 hole headgear. The oldest plow(2003 MM2) can't have them without the adapter, and it's probably getting replaced.

12. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

13. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

A couple of things to think about here. First, truly "brighter" bulbs are pretty hard to come by - no matter what the advertising says. Manufacturers are limited by government regulations as to how powerful (# watts) their bulbs can be. So anybody doing it legally is playing mostly with color and filament placement. The only way you're going to see a significant increase here is if your current bulbs are really old and dim.

The other thing you may want to think about is optics. That would be the lens and reflector in your current lights. You can crank up the wattage all you want, but you're still a slave to lousy optics - if that's what you've got. I've tried many times to increase the light output of crappy lights and all I ever get was more crappy light.

The best way to increase lighting output is to buy a complete engineered system. (bulbs, reflectors, lens, housing) That way all of the components work together to put more light on the road. The new Fisher Intensifier units are actually quite good in that respect. And, they plug right in and come with a warranty!