1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Plow lights that much better than old?

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by LHL Inc., Nov 9, 2008.

1. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

I am debating on a hiniker new scoop plow (is that a good decision?). It has the old lights on it which i dont understand. Is is worth the extra money to have them swapped out for the new ones? Are they that much brighter? They want around $4750 is that a good deal?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Yes the scoop is a great idea, I love them. I have the old lights so I can't say weather it's worth getting the new ones although they look cool. I paid $4,050ea for 2 last year in the box. They wanted $450 to install each one. Took about 6hrs to install the first one and about 4hrs for the second.
  3. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

I would also install myself, I believe that way you know exactly where all thw wires are at. This was cash and carry, steel prices have gone up but i still think thats high but they wont take any less for it, another place is 300 cheaper but i cant get it for 2 weeks and dont know if i can trust my old plow if it snows. Will this be better than the western mvp v plow i have now, I have heard they will move more snow.:waving:

Seems like a lot of time and money to replace an existing plow, I would put some money into the V. I don't think you will move that much more snow to justify it.
  5. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

I bought it for 2000 2 yrs ago and have spent app. 900-1200 on it since and am sick of working on the POS! I could have paid for a new plow by now, you have to cut your losses somewhere and justify upgrading. I cant afford to break down at 2 am, NO MORE OLD EQUIPMENT!:nono::angry:

I'd want something new too. I'd price shop some more.
  7. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

What do you know :drinkup:?

The scoop plows are very nice, they move TONS of snow fast. Less moving parts = less parts to break = less down time = more money.

I would just use what you have for the two weeks it takes to get it from the other place. And lets be honest, if you are like most people you will get it home and it will sit for two weeks anyways :rolleyes:.

The place that has them in stock probably has old stock of plows where the place that has to order it most likely get a brand new one that would have the new lights. Something to think about anyways
  8. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

You can't go wrong with a Hiniker. Very reliable. I too was wondering how bright the new lights are. Might replace the ones on my C-plow. Wonder if they require as much work as the night sabers or just wire them into the existing harness?
  9. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

The guy told me they just plug in you dont have to wire them at all. I am waiting for a price on them though.
  10. mrplowmn

mrplowmn Junior Member

Nicholas-where did you buy your scoop plows? I'm about to purchase. Thanks!
  11. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Not real impressed where i bought this one! next time i will go to marx trailer sales in sioux city IA. thats a long ways away from you though!!!:cool:
  12. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Got ant pics of the lights.?????????
  13. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Isanti Power, the price has gone up this year. I already checked
  14. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

I am interested in getting the new lights too. Mine had rust on the bottom of them and the stupid bolt stripped out so I had to weld the bottom cups together to the frame to hold the light steady. Needless to say I could use some new lights, and if I have to get some I would like to upgrade.
  15. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

I got the new style lights...I like em...they work really well when the plug stays in .....:realmad:...I had it installed....I'll never do that again. I was pretty disappointed with the condition of the plow, which was new, when I got it...just not happy with the little dings and scratches...when I pointed it out to the guy he just said "oh, well, thats last years poly but I put the newer style lights on for you". I decided I'm going to pull the trigger and buy the scoop too for the backup truck as I use mine for both residential and commercials so I want the straight on for commercial until the back plow is on. If you get the lights, you'll be amazed over the older style as I think these are a lot brighter. jmo