1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow, leaky rams normal?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JCark, Jan 26, 2011.

1. JCark

JCark Member

I have a new 8 ft HD and I had noticed that all 3 rams are leaking a bit. The left and right rams aren't bad, there's just a small ring, but the lift ram is leaking a bit more than I think it should, its bad enough that it starts to drip every once and a while. I know my last plow never did that so I'm wondering if its normal for them to leak a bit or should I bring it back to the dealer? I also noticed that when its cold out the plow moves ALOT slower then it should.

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

I have herd of this on here with some new plows.But as long as it is brand new it is under warrenty bring it to the dealer where you purchased it and let them do the adjustment..Good Luck
  3. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

That is NOT normal and the installer has not done something right on that plow . I would certainly march it back in there and tell them you want it fixed pronto!!! And any quibbling about it and BS like "well they all leak a little" I would contact Fisher and let them know you are not happy about the performance right outta the box .................... I will bet you that it gets fixed .......... You dont have to put up with that BS as much as these plows cost!
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Just go in there and tell them you want new rams all the way around and don't leave until you get what you rightfully deserve. Good Luck.
  5. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Pack buts are probably loose. Bring it back they can tourqe them down and you will be back in bussiness. As long as you didnt run it dry. you should be fine
  6. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Bringing my 9.5' XV in Friday because the lift cylinder is leaking.........expecting to get a new cylinder- we will see.
  7. unclebuck

unclebuck Junior Member

most snow plow rams still use vee packing , they can be snugged down to stop the leak ,its very normal to have to tighten them down a little . some makers are switching to poly seals if you have them and they leak take them back now !!! they only get worse as they get old .
    find out what oil they put in they might have put to thick of oil
  8. JCark

JCark Member

Thanks for the advice guys. been busy with all this snow. I did take the plow back to the dealer and they said there have been problems with the seals in their new plows. I was told fisher recently changed who manufactures them. The shop changed all the seals in the rams with the new ones to replace the defective seals and so far they havent leaked at all.
  9. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Yep, ended up having a new seal kit placed in my lift ram. No more leaks.