1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow just dropping..

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by snowman2025, Jan 20, 2007.

1. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

In a way I hope i'm the only one that has had to deal with this, but i also hope someone might help. I have a new Poly 9ft straight blade with the wireless controller.

The other day i was cruizing down the interstate, going around 70 mph, i had just passed a semi when out of no where, my plow just dropped. My remote was up on my dash and off, i know this cuz it took me what seemed like an eternity to grab it and get it turned on to get it picked back up, but not before i had sparks flying and the smell of grinding metal filled my cab.

I called my dealer and they had not heard anything about it, and after cruizing a few of the other discussions on here i think there are some brains that might know about it. Any help or ideas would be great. thanks
  2. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

I'll leave it to the experts here to help you with this problem but the first question that popped into my mind was: why didn't you have the safety "cuff" attached?
  3. snowman2025

i haven't seen a safety "cuff" on my 32 series, i looked for it a while back when i first installed it. unless its hidden i didn't know i had one...
  4. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I wonder if the semi was using a tweaked CB with an amplifier, maybe that could have caused this to happen. I don't know anything about the plow you are talking about. I have only owned Western stuff but it would seem to me if the control is wireless that maybe there was RF interference from the truck? I don't know but I am interested to see why. Thank god you weren't hurt or the truck wrecked.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

First I've heard of this happening. You can be sure I'm going to be asking tech support first thing Monday if they have had any other reported incidents.

The plow operated OK afterward?

The plow defaults to a raise position so for the blade to drop lower functions had to power up, or you had to have a catastrophic failure in the hydraulics. If everything works properly now I'd disregard catastrophic failure. Could be the Tractor/trailer was emitting the right frec.

Your "Travel Lock" is a bright red collar designed to fit over your lift ram cylinder to prevent the blade from dropping due to hydraulic failure, or accidental lowering while traveling (particularly at high speeds.) Every unit comes from the factory with one in the carton.
  6. snowman2025

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Everything on the plow works with out any problems, so i know it wasn't a hydraulic failure. it hasn't happened to me again, but now my remote stays on and on my center console just incase it happens again. I will have to go back and look for that red cuff in my box of stuff, i must have over looked it it.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The red cuff is not attached to the plow at all. You clamp it around the cylinder and pin it in place. You take it completely off when you are not traveling.