1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow Jeep, beaters are better!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by cocco78, Oct 23, 2004.

1. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Ok, last year I plowed with a rusty old 72 Scout II... I sold the 6'6" western off it over the summer with plans of parting out the Scout. So I've been looking for another plow rig and stumbled across this 73 Jeep CJ5 that has been sitting behind an old run down barn for well over 10 years. What I ended up with was a very rusty 73 CJ5, 232 I6, 3speed manual, D20 tcase, D30 w/drums up front, and D44 with one piece axle shafts out back. Also included was a very rare factory metal hard top, extremely nice Meyer blade w/angle rams (was stored inside), and some misc stuff. I got the Jeep home and put in new points, condensor, and some new wires here and there and it fired right up and runs freaking perfect. What I didn't get was a pump! But I found a working Western 4 way pump and controler at a garage sale for $25 today. Now all I need is a set of cables!

It is beat though. All 4 springs are bent, the body is held together by rust, you have to rest your feet on the frame rails... But mech its damn near perfect...

click here for pics: http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/jeeps/73CJ5/CJ5page.html

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Nice find. How is the frame on that CJ? If the frame and running gear are all good you might want to think about a glass tub and front clip. Then you would have a killer plow jeep with a lot fewer drafts.

3. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

The frame and running gear are pretty good. I'd seriously consider a glass, or less rusty original, tub if I found one at a good price. I've been driving this thing around the last few days and it runs great. The only thing it really needs are new springs, spring plates, and shocks...

4. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I want to purchase a jeep one of these days. I hate the new styles with the plastic around the fender.. it's ugly. Thus is why I like the older one's like the one you got.

I love old Jeeps. I'm even a bigger fan of the Willys pickups.

You have a wonderful Jeep there.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  5. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

I like anything Jeep. I'm currently working on a 98 Wrangler, lift, tires, axle swap... But there is nothing like a dead stock old beat up willy's or CJ!

I used to have a 54 willy's pickup a few years back, cant find any pics of it though.

6. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I would love to have a CJ3B someday. I buddy of mine has one to plow his driveway with. And a Dodge M37 and JD model B as the recovery team for when the 3B slides off the driveway into the willywags. :D

7. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Here's my old plow rig -- I sold it last year. It's a '53 Willys Pickup (first year of the non-flathead engine)

Jeff Pierce

'53 Willys.JPG

8. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

I sold the Willys because I upgraded to this "modern" '85 CJ-7.

Jeff Pierce

CJ-7.JPG