1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow hell chose fast

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ponyboy, Jan 20, 2016.

1. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Getting a new plow tomorrow for my international dump 4300
    Mostly med size lots never had an issue with straight blades
    My choices are fisher
    Either the mc heavy weight straight 10 foot
    9.5 vee plow
    Getting one of them tomorrow any personal reviews or input
    I have an experienced driver and most lots a easy to plow not many islands or curbs and 6 lot route with in 2 miles of each other
    Also other trucks are western but get better deals on fisher now so will be switching other truck to fisher in future and my other interaction has a 10 foot mc but that is subbed out an hour away so not too worried about ability to switch plows from truck to truck
    Here we average 4-7 inches and once a year 10+ inch storm which will be Saturday for me
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  2. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

We have a fisher 10 foot mc on our 4300 perfect combo for the truck. My buddy has one on his 650 and We had one on our 650 before trade in. The good thing about the 10 foot mc is it is pretty easy to work on uses most of the same parts as the other truck plows. The plow itself is quite durable as well
  3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

SnowEx 8611...I know, I know, it's not on the list. Should be though:D

I vote 8-10 XLS.
  4. cutshortlandscaping

cutshortlandscaping Senior Member

i don't know if I'm to late to post but i will any way I have a fee and xls haven't really used the vee much my employee uses it more the els is fantastic in lots it is much faster than the strait blade I use to us before. with all that said if you get a strait blade or fee plow id great some wings on it it would make it a lot wider and will make it excel on the lots in wind rowing and scooping snow when i use my els 95% of the time i just leave my xls in scoop and windrow and scoop the snow only time i don't scoop it is when I'm back dragging and a few drive ways that i go down in 10 ft strait and knock it out in one pass hope this helps and don't forget to tell us what plow you choose
  5. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Not a lot of islands and **** in your way, I'd go XLS all day long.
  6. cutshortlandscaping

cutshortlandscaping Senior Member

I agree but if he gets a 10ft mc and adds wings he will have a 12 foot plow and if he gets a 9.5 vee he'll have a 11 foot plow so in open area it may be more productive than the Xls of he had tight areas etc I'd say xls because he would be able to shrink it and adjust accordingly
  7. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

I don't think I would be putting a xls on a 26k gvw truck. I would be going with a straight 10' muni plow or a 10' boss V.

Or spend some serious Benny boys and get a hla custom fit to it.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I fully realize the Constitution isn't taught in New York, but apparently punctuation and grammar aren't either.
  9. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

My mechanic says xls or mc
    He says the vee plow don't hold up well
    Being I have the abilty to go from 8 to 10 I am going with xls worst case I put it on another truck next year and get another mc
    Where the mc can only be on the international
    So I'm gonna try something new to me if I like it but more if I don't put it on a different truck and buy old reliable
    And I fell the vee I won't use to its potential and with the wing the police would stop me for being to wide
    That has happened with my mc once already even when it's angled all the way
    So today truck will be dropped off in afternoon
    Still can change mind up till 4pm

Yes I'm. Not going back to school either for my grammar
  10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Mark,.......remember our people skills.

11. Mark Oomkes

12. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Might be late,but my 2 cents.I've run a 10' mc for 10 years now, 6 on a 4700 and 4 on gmc4500.Just installed a xls.The mc will last forever,its bulletproof,replaced motor and pump once,cutting edge is flippable.Cons-its very slow.Haven't used xls yet (hopefully sat) but also have a blizzard 810 since 2006.The 810 is much more efficient,its the scoop.If you have open lots I'd go mc. Wish I had a chance to use xls already to give more input.Oh and I dual wired truck so I can still run either plow xls fleetflex or mc 3 plug.
  13. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen carnage on wing plows on 350s and 550s. Theyre awesome plows but in front of a 4300 i think you will fold it up. I would do 10' straight or 10' boss dxt. Thats whats going on mine next year
  14. Mark Oomkes

Not sure if I would go with an XLS on that size truck, either.

Having said that, we had our share of damaged slide boxes and wings at the beginning. After switching to urethane wing edges and steel moldboard, our issues have basically been eliminated.

We have had to replace 2 moldboard\wings this year on 8611LP's due to damage and age. Had they not been over 10 seasons old, with the accompanying rust, they could have been rebuilt. But it was cheaper and faster to just replace the moldboards\wings.

I have 1 8611 on an F800-same size truck as a 4300. I have had 2 on 550's and 1 on a 450. 3 LP's on 350's.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to put a full size 8611 on a 4300.
  15. leigh

from CT

I think operated correctly it would be ok.Snow is snow,plow is only going to push what it can regardless of whats pushing it.Now if you're a cowboy and bouncing off curbs that's a different problem!
  16. alldayrj

Cowboy is one thing, an accident is another. I like to think I'm the best plow driver of all time but after 30 hours sometimes a curb gets clipped, we forget about the speed bump or high sewer cap etc.
    the difference in beef between a 9' pickup plow and 10' mdt plow is double in most cases. Id rather have that in front of my 4300. And the v helps a lot too. Not getting into the v vs winged debate here but in a 2wd dump i would prefer the v
  17. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Yeah all make good points
    I'm going xls and hope for same results as the mc
  18. leigh

from CT

I agree, but most don't buy a plow based on getting into an accident. The newer plows have trip edges,relief valves etc to protect themselves somewhat. I'll see how my new xls holds up with a 20k truck pushing it,if it gives out I'll hookup the mc.The perfect plow for op would be a blizzard 8611 full size,but that's not in his plans.As for the v that's a whole different animal compared to the xls,no real comparison efficiency wise.Just got to fit the plow to the lot!
  19. alldayrj

Post some pics, i love 4300s
  20. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

XLS or 8611 is my vote!! I have a 9.5MVP3 wings and are wideout is still faster, as I've said numerous times the wing angle is greater on wideout/XLS/8611.. therfore you can windrow a full blade width!! Wing angle on the MVP wings arnt as great so you still can't take a full blade width...