1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow guy, need help!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by DaveMD, Dec 9, 2004.

1. DaveMD

DaveMD Junior Member

Hi,
    I am trying to get started in the plowing business because I have seen the potential earning you guys make. My biggest problem however is that I am only 20 and I have limited resources( money, credit, experience). So first did anyone else have this problem and what did you do to manage, and second how can I can I get customers to give me a chance. Also I am wondering how much more I will be paying for commercial insurance, I live in Maryland if this helps.
    Thanks for the help.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It is tuff to start. Try to look neat and polite when you are trying to sell yourself and bust your butt to do it correctly and ask client when done if they are happy. A quiet truck is a plus to though some will debate that. Also low prices will sometimes influeance someone the take a chance of you. Kinda like a specal going into bussiness rate to get a chance to show what you can do. Be advise that when you underbid you will always make someone mad but it is the nature of competition sometimes. Good Luck!

3. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

Dave I just Started this year and I can give you some info about insurance $ send me a e-mail at sdb1@comcast.net . The plow site has much info.Good luck

4. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

md

Hello Dave

What kind of equipment do you own. Do you have a job where you can take off when it snows.
    Where about in Md do you live.
    I might be able to hook you up with someone that might need help.

Thanks Frank

5. Mark10151

Mark10151 Junior Member

New to Plowing

Hi Dave, I'm in Baltimore. I've been considering plowing this year. A few people have made negative suggestions against it, but I would definitely like to hear for those in MD who have been plowing for a while and are just starting like us.

Mark10151

6. DJL

DJL Senior Member

IMO, this year is probably out of the question as far as obtaining regular customers...I dunno exactly though. With that said, you could use this year as an experience. I'm assuming you already have a plow on some sort of vehicle. Take this year to contract yourself out and get paid to work for someone else. This will give you the much needed experience in plowing and techniques and how to tackle difficult (if you don't know what you are doing) lots/driveways.

Although it may not be "required" in your state you will probably need/want to get both commercial auto on your vehicle as well as General Liability coverage for your business. This business is a CYA type of business.

The other thing you may want to do is get some books on how to write a business plan. Visit your community library, local college library, and/or bookstores for this info. By having a solid business plan written and a year under your belt you may be able to present this to a lender and obtain a small business loan to get you started.

7. DaveMD

DaveMD Junior Member

Thanks for the help guys.
    l I am located north of baltimore in bel air. I drive a 98 toy, taco, 4 cyl, manual trans. Its small for a plow truck but it definetly has the power to do some driveways from what i have heard from other toyota drivers. Anybody else use a truck similar to this?

I do not have a plow yet, but I am not expecting to plow much this year anyway, so Im going to have time to prepare and learn for next year.

I do work part time in the evenings, from about 430 -11:00. That is somewhat flexible though so I can take off for big snow storms if needed. But hopefuly one day my only job will be snow plowing.

Thanks power plow , i'll be in touch.