1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow for new truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by slplow, Sep 15, 2014.

1. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a new 2014 ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi. I have a mix of small comm/res that we are doing. I was thinking OF getting a 9ft straight blade or a 8.5V. What do you think would be more productive .
  2. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I would go with a 9.5 v.. but if I had to choose between those it would be the V plow. Had a 8.2 boss v and hated the size.
  3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If your biggest concern is productivity, consider xls.If you only have a couple hours of work and don't plan on maxing out your route,get whatever is cheaper,good local dealer support etc.
  4. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I like the bigger blades myself. My personal truck I run either a XLS or 9x blade. The xls is pretty much always in 10ft.
  5. cat10

cat10 Senior Member

i would deff think about the xls if i was you. i do driveways and commercial lots and i always have my xls in 10 foot mode and i fly through my driveways makes it so much easier
  6. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

A V or expandable wing plow is ALWAYS more productive than a normal straight blade. You do realize that a V plow can act as a straight blade as well, right?
  7. slplow

I should hope so as I have been plowing for 30 yrs and own a 9.5 extreme v on my dump truck.
    as for the wing plows, the truck I traded in had a blizzard 810 on it. Ya it was productive when it worked. I also did not like spending $400. every yr for cutting edges. The xls is out, just like the fisher hd's the cutting edge pivot points were out to fast on those plows and the attack angle goes from 65 degree's to 60.
    It has been said for many yrs here that a v is more productive and yes a 8.5 v better than a 8ft straight blade. But will the 8.5 v finish a lot faster than a 9ft straight blade? I do you's the scoop function on my fisher but not that much .I also have notice the v's do not windrow as good as straight plows do.
  8. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

V V V.... tuck the wings back and head to the next lot 65 MPH. 9.5 with wings. You got 11 feet. Plus the v in scoop can stack snow much higher than a xls. I have 4 xtreme v plows and I will never ever go to a xls or straight blade.

To each is own but I belive the v is more productive over the xls. I'm not a fan of rubber edges. my 2 cents.....
  9. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

V plow every time..
  10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

V, if those are your only two options.
  11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

When it worked? Who's problem was that? The plows fault or your maintenance schedule?
    A V more productive then a straight? You serious Clark, your really asking that?
  12. slplow

The blizzard 810 had a lot of heavy wear parts the made plow go up/down. That wore out . The motor on the blizzard never gave me trouble.
    I am very good to my plows when it comes to maintaining them.
  13. dieselss

Hummmmm interesting, never had issues with mine or the ones I maintained
  14. steveb75

steveb75 Junior Member
    from chicago

I have a 9' western pro plus with wings. Next truck will definately be an expandable blade. Although with the wings productivity is awesome on large jobs, I feel its too much blade on smaller lots or driveways. Restaurant drive thrus suck too.
  15. slplow

You have a blizzard 810? Then you know how all the linkage wears out. every 3 to 4 yrs I had to rebuild the linkage of my blizzard 810 so I could lift the plow up over 8'' . That plow made me want a chain lift. I'm glad I bought in 07 my fisher v. Like i said I maintain my plows and I learned that from my father who had 2 texaco stations. He ran a meyers plow on his 1964 jeep j200 for 25 yrs with out truck or the dreaded meyers braking down. His meyers was a belt drive and he greased all the pivot points
  16. dieselss

Yea every few years I had the lift hitches rebuilt. And as far as edges, I always left the skies on.
    I just chalked it up to general wear and tear.
  17. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, mines five years old and lifts like the day it was new. 810's can't be beat.
  18. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Had a 5.7 Hemi with a 9'2" Boss V that worked very well.
    I agree with the comments in regard to service. Go with the known brand that has good service/parts in your area.
  19. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Going into my 8th year with my 810 and my 10' fisher mc.Minor problems with both, motors etc, very productive. No complaints