1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new plow for new chevy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sprintlawncare, Jan 14, 2003.

1. sprintlawncare

sprintlawncare Junior Member

i'm brand new to plowsite as of about 5 minutes ago. forgive me if this has been asked before but i have a '02 1/2 ton extended cab, Z-71, 4x4 and i'm thinking about putting a plow on it. i'm looking for the best, most affordable plow my truck will handle. thanks for the input and advice.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i plowed with a 00 silverado z71 and had a 7.5 ft fisher on it. cant go wrong with a fisher.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Snoway makes a good plow,which is fairly light and has downpressure to help it scrape better.Western and Fisher also make excellent plows.

I would take a look around in your area and see what others are running and what dealers are nearby.Choose something that you can easily get parts and service for,when you really need it,in the middle of the night.Having the best plow in the world is no good to you if it's down waiting for parts.

4. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Welcome to the site first of all. As to your question, you should read "She's a half ton w/ a saggy front end!" Post, it should help with some of your questions, or it might just confuse the heck out of you.. :D , Some key points, Don't get more plow than you have truck, on a 1500 its not a bad idea to upgrade the suspension to handle more, and pray for snow....

5. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Ive got Meyer plows (poly) with E60 pumps. I have had good luck with them so far, and know a lot of guys here that use them. They are reasaonably priced and we have good dealer support here. I wouldn't go bigger than a 7.5-8ft plow. The biggest factor I would look for is dealer support. Find a snowplow dealer that has a good rep, and is close, for parts/warranty work etc. Good luck and welcome to plowsite.

6. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

I personally like Western and Fisher. Either one would work on your truck just don't go bigger then a 7 1/2 footer. If cost is a concern I would also look at an arctic. I am a big fan of Arctic plows as well and find them very similar to Western's, but cheaper.

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I agree with the above statement. Go with a Western or a Fisher and no bigger than a 7.5'. The first guy to post above said Meyer is the best, hes just pulling your leg, no one would say that and really mean it, right?!? :confused: :D Mike

8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

SPRINT....Congrats for finding plowsite !

Her wary of warranty on you new truck. Talk to
    the dealer Make sure first !
    Any light plow will work Great on your rig !
    I favor westerns...My last got me 10 long hard NY
    winters and in use on my buds truck today.
    Check out this link and full pics. and instructions
    on mounting plow & lights on 99 & up GMs
    http://www.gmupfitter,com/secure/html/publiat/bull/bull27.pdf
    .........................geo

9. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

all major plow manuf.make good plows its all about the dealer and parts aval. dont let the anti myer crew effect your opinion
    their just mad they bought another brand and know their stuck with em lol::D :D

hey mike i thought we had a deal about trashing other brands?

cardoctor:nod: :nod:

10. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

i Have a 7.5 Meyer/Diamond whatever you want to call them on my 2002 chev 1500 z71. Works like a charm except for the fact i have to put new shocks on the front end already. I have plowed alot with this truck

cheers

11. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

That wasnt me, that was someone else on my screen name, LOL. Mike :drinkup: :waving:

12. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Like everyone else, WELCOME:)
    As far as plows... everyone has their personal preferance. Go with what you can get parts for, a plow only stays new for so long. Also you might want to look in the Chevy truck forum. Plows on 1/2 tons been talked about recently. Talk to your dealer too, wouldn't want them not to cover a repair that should be under warranty.

13. gssuperduty

gssuperduty Junior Member

Im new to the site too.
    Around my area (Hyde Park, NY) I see a few 1/2 ton Chevys with either 7.5' Fisher of Boss on them .

The more Snow the better......
    gssuperduty

14. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS! I like Fisher (thats what I own). Find a plow with local service and parts availiable. Where I live most guys run Meyer. When they break there is a local source to get help. Fortunately running a Fisher I can afford not having a local source. Good luck and enjoy the site!:p

15. gssuperduty

Im new to this site also......
    Around my area ( Hyde Park Ny ) there are a few new Chevys with either Fishers or Boss 7.5'ers. Seems to fit the truck well.

More snow the better

gssuperduty

16. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

gssuperduty,

You wouldn't happen to be Gerry would you?:drinkup:

Welcome to Plowsite!!!!:waving:

What gauges you plan on putting in that gauge pod?

sprintlawncare,

Welcome also!

Like what has been said before, The BEST plow is one you can get parts for at 2 am when there is 12" on the ground and more coming and your plow is broke! And don't worry, they ALL break sometimes. Some just more than others.;)

I'd be more worried about the bowtie though!! LOL!!! (Just kidding! It's an inside joke between me and Dino!!):D

Greg

17. Cutting Edge Kid

Cutting Edge Kid Senior Member

I have an '02 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab that came with a snow plow prep package. When I bought the truck in March the dealer had already attached a 7'2" Western LSX plow on the truck and that plow is designed for 1500's and SUV's. I've plowed with 7'6" and 8ft Westerns and there's no difference in toughness in my opinion. This plow is designed for our truck. It only weighs 480lbs. The front end handles it fine. :nod:

18. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

CEK- Is that LSX plow very tough? ive seen pictures and it doesnt look like it would stand up commercial plowing (amidst what others have said about a 1/2 ton and commercial plowing...) On the other hand in IL we dont really get tough winters very often, or even any winters for that matter..... however I have found that when my 7.5' pro is fully angled, my tires are almost in the snow, i couldnt imagine a narrower blade. I dont know, maybe its just me. Mine is the 'heavy halfton) and it carries the heavy plow (700#) just fine, it all depends on what you are usung the truck/plow for. I was just curious to how that blade is holding up, if youve had a chance to use it.

John

19. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I agree I don't think the LSX plow would be very durable. If it were my truck I would look at a 7.5 standard plow or a 7.5 pro plow, that's if you decide to go with a Western.

20. gssuperduty

Hi Dockboy.....
    Small world........
    I plan on installing a transmission temp gauge, and either water temp of oil temp.
    I tow a 6500 lb 5th wheel and I want to keep an eye on the temps.
    How the winter treating ya, :drinkup:

gssuperduty