1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow cutting edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CPSS, Feb 16, 2003.

1. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We have the new 8.5' Fisher MM2 as the other post details. The dealer said we shouldnt bolt on the cutting edge till the trip edge was worn a little. He said the combination of the 1/2" steel edge, and the existing 3/4" trip edge would take forever to wear, and we wouldnt be happy with the scraping action. I never heard of this. We always put the steel edge on all our new plows. Could this salesman be confused?

2. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

One of the guys I plow with has a fisher and he was told to wait a year or so and then put an edge on it. I don't know why but that what he was told too.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would run with the base angle until you wear some off. The dealer is right, once it wears in you will have better results with a bolt on edge.

4. Shaper

Shaper Junior Member

The trouble with the fisher cutting edge is that when the plow is new and unworn the cutting edge is only about 1/2-3/4" below the trip edge. However there is an 8" tall cutting edge available in my area from a local supplier. The only trouble is that it is much heavier than the standard edge.

5. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. Its funny that after buying 4 new Fisher plows in the past 5 years, this is the first I've heard of this. Well, I guess thats why this site is such a good idea!:drinkup:

6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

It sounds assanine but it's true,on my first plow (MM1) i insisted on a cutting edge against the dealers advice,but got it anyways,Yes the angle now takes forever to "break in" and the scraping ability was awful,i just put a new one on and have about an 1.5 overhang below the trip edge and it scrapes awesome now!

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well since it was brought up i guess that this would be the case in any plow brand.I think the reasoning for that is that a small edge cuts tru better than one that is wider almost like having wider or thinner tires for the snow for traction.

8. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I never really contimplated the reasoning Cat,i just know i'm a whole lot happier with the way she scrapes now!

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

my Diamond does not scrape that well sometimes and other times it's great that could be the reason with mine .But for next year the edge will be turned.So just the cutting edge will be wearing.Probably will make a big improvement with me.

10. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

I'll be putting on a poly edge, bought from Dino here next week. If we get snow, I'll post my opinion on how it works!

11. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

If you switch to an 8" edge you may have problems with it tripping all the time. That's 33% greater leverage working on the trip springs. The original base angle should be worn down quite a bit before you put another edge over it. I'm thinking you can wear about 2" off before you get too close to the bolt holes or the trip springs start to hit the ground.

12. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

fisher cutting edge

CPSS,

Used to love the Fisher guys who wore the edge the 1" till it hit the trip edge and came in for a new edge. Said keep the old one it's no good. Meyer's guys loved it too because they could get 3+ in. of wear from this no good edge for cheap $. We charged them for the bolts and install only.

Fisher's for years didn't have any holes in the trip edge. It wore down and you bought a new one. Big $$$$. Then there was enough feed back they added the holes to the std trip edge so an edge could be bolted on.

New it ran great till the 1" or so wore off. Then as stated above you had the edge and the trip edge width and it became a poor performer.

If you look at the plow from the side installed on the truck the trip springs mounting brackts are above the pavement. You can wear the original trip edge till the base of these trip spring brackets are just above the pavement. Then install a cutting edge to the trip edge.

I'll try to find the Fisher spec in the manual and get some picts for you but this is the jist of it.

Look at the Fisher V plow vs. the Western V plow and you'll see the difference in the base trip angle height. They use the same cutting edge.

Jerre

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Alan hit the nail on the head as far as an 8" edge tripping. It will trip a lot more and the leverage effect can actually cause more damage.

Wear the base angle and then run a standard steel 6" edge. Best combo you can get if you really want to scrape well.

14. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

A buddy of mine had this happen to him. He wore off the Factory edge and welded on a new one. WELDED ????? wow. He said he had no bolt holes. "Well mine doesn't either" I told him. To make a long story short his tripped like no tomorrow. Had ripples in his yard from the tripping. He called me up and asked what he could do. i told him to take the edge off. He said i can't.. hehehe So I said "give me the truck for the night." The next night it plowed great. I'm sure you experienced plowers know what i did.

15. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Well, we took the cutting edge off our 2001, and 2003 PSD F-250's with 8.5' Fishers. Plowed the last storm (12.9"), and I must admit they seem to scrape better. Could be I'm just expecting better, but I'll leave them off for the rest of the winter, and them re-install them next winter. Stay tuned for further updates!:waving:

16. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I think I'm going to tru the same CPSS, mine scrapes terrible. My dealer sold me the plow with the cutting edge never said anything about wear.

17. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Hey there Dak did you take a little "road trip"?

Had a guy complaining about new meyer edge not cutting well so someone told he to hit the highway for an exit and come back. 33miles down and 33 miles back to the next town not the next exit he needed a new edge....LOL

Jerre

18. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Like Jerre said wear it to the trip spring mounts then install the edge. For the past 5 years I used a 8"X5/8" cutting edge. This worked great, no excesive tripping and last the whole season. I was plowing for the town in the past years where you would put lots of miles on per storm and you would be out until pavement was showing. Use the 8" edge as it will last longer. One down side was you must upgrade to 5/8 bolts as the leverage was breaking the 1/2 inch ones. Once I upgraded no broken bolts.

19. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Joey any specific type of steel for the edge?

20. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Cat, I don't know what grade of steel but I could ask. I would think they should be all the same grade, should be anyways.