1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow bottoming out

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cti531, Oct 28, 2010.

1. cti531

cti531 Member

I just had a new 8' Western (poly) Pro Plow installed on my 2006 Silverado 2500hd. The mount has already bottomed out when entering my driveway and also at a shopping center that I pulled into. Both places do have a "dip" but I am rather surprised at how low this thing sits. I had timbrens installed as well and was just wondering if anyone can tell me if this is normal and what the clearence should be from the ground when my plow is raised.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Crank the T-bars about 5 turns each that will bring the front end up. Who installed the mount? Dealer? Make sure it meets the recommened height setting for the plow. I know with boss plows theres a min. of atleast 15 inches the mount has to be at for everything to work properly.
  3. cti531

cti531 Member

Yes it was at a Western dealer but I was nervous when the guy told me their normal installer hurt his back so the back-up guy was doing it. Is it possible that they mounted something wrong or is there really only one way to mount it?
  4. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have the detachable receiver on? I dont know the term for them but they look like a ducks beak. They come off for maximum ground clearance.

The stuff in the picture all comes off
  5. MatthewG

6. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

the chevys sit low too begin with all the ones i have owned i have installed the ready lift torsion key lift too bring the front end up approx 3 inches with keeping the same ride check them out at ready lift
  7. cti531

cti531 Member

The receivers are off...the problem is when the plow is on and raised. I just want to make sure that I'm not over reacting here. Does anyone have any idea how far the lowest part of the plow frame should be off the ground when in the raised position? I know this varies from truck to truck and plow to plow, but what would be considered acceptable to prevent bottoming out on your typical driveway dips?
  8. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

The best way that I get around bottoming out on driveway dips is to lower the plow onto the driveway as close to the part where it dips as you can go and put it into float. That allows the front end of the truck to raise back up because the plow weight is on the ground now. Proceed to clear the driveway.
  9. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

adjust your tbars and that will make you boat float again!!!!
  10. EXR

EXR Senior Member

What you can take the receivers off?

Didn't know that.

I find that is one flaw from western, the mount is too low. Never had an issue bottoming out with an arctic plow.
  11. eastern

eastern Junior Member

I put a 9.5 fisher v on my 06 daully utility and man is it heavy. Same problem with it bottoming out al the time. Last year I cranked the tortion bars up and still bottom out. Getting a 2.5 ready lift installed in the front when my new tires come in.
  12. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

ultra mount? plow can be assembled at several setting. take it back its most likely not assembled for a chev the side plates and need to be flipped and lifted.
  13. cti531

cti531 Member

Alright I have some pics. As you can see, when the plow is in the raised position I have just shy of 3" of clearance. When the blade is down in plowing position, I gain another inch. Is this normal???

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Something isn't right with that. Do you have another western dealer in the area? I'd get a second opinion. Personally I don't know western plows, but I can tell you that isn't right.
  15. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

That doesnt look right at all, I know on fords you cut the front airdam to gain more hieght
  16. MatthewG

the truck-side mount looks correct, but the plow side linkage which is lower than the mount is incorrect
  17. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

That is to low, everytime you go up hill it will scrape better get it looked at...
  18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As usual the truck wasn't leveled (nearly leveled) BEFORE the install was done. Pretty common these days...:rolleyes:

Put 3-5 turns in the T-bars, throw a set of Timbrens on it, reconfigure the plow side and call it a day.
  19. cti531

cti531 Member

Thanks guys!

B&B you said reconfigure the plow side. Do you also agree with the other posts on here that something isn't installed correctly? OR are you just saying to crank up the T-Bars and that is all you think that is wrong with it? I already have Timbrens installed (same time they put the plow on).
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  20. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I think th eplow is configured wrong. The mount looks right but the plow seem s to hang under the recievers. I would have the dealer check it when the noraml guy is back.