1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow blade for a highway truck.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Enthalpy, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Enthalpy

Enthalpy Junior Member

[​IMG]

So we have two International single-axle trucks. One older one newer. They both run the blades you can see on the truck on the right side that angle-able.

We plow 11kms of single and double lane of mountain highway that switch backs up just over 3300 feet. The blades were use currently don't seem to encourage throwing distance of snow unless you're going high speed. And uphill we aren't moving to terribly quick. We have two 950's we use to push off the edge of the roads when need be. But they are usually needed elsewhere and want to make the trucks able to more themselves before calling the loaders. We also have a small side wing but due to the trucks being single axles and the snow we receive usually being heavy and wet. It doesn't work too well.

Would a one way plow be a better solution?

Any suggestions for new blades or snow throwing solutions would be appreciated.

And a picture from the truck shed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Sounds like you need to look into a one way highway plow. they thow snow farther then a regular straight blade. Hope this helps you out.

3. Enthalpy

Enthalpy Junior Member

I need some examples and a few more comments other then just saying it will.
    Does it throw it half again as far? work well in deep snow?

thanks for the comments.

4. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

All depends on your speed. If your averaging 10-15 mph, blade design is not a factor. The snow will just pile or roll off the side. However, if snow is coming up and over your current blade while your plowing, then a high speed one-way blade may be a good upgrade. If not and your speeds are slow, I don't think just changing blade design will make a big difference in throwing distance.

5. OldCrow

OldCrow Member

If you're plowing all highway, then a one-way plow is the way to go. They're designed for better roll off the plow.

If you're looking for manufacturers, some that we've used before Viking, Flink, Good Roads, Monroe, Bonnell.

Check out their websites, there's a lot of different options to choose from. We're currently using Good Roads plows for our heavy trucks and Bonnell spreaders.

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd say that speed is your main factor. And if you can't speed up then a one way plow probably won't make a big enough difference to justify the cost. What about a bigger wing plow?

7. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

[​IMG]

This is one of my trucks a 99 International with a angle plow on it.

The blade has a funnel shape on each of the ears. This was a former truck for Genase county MI ( Flint, near Detroit) and plowed the highways and local roads with this plow.

The funnel throws snow pretty far, I use it to plow about a mile of road around a mall and it can really throw snow.

I would imagine the only other plow option would be a one way plow.

8. Enthalpy

Enthalpy Junior Member

Single axle truck won't support it. The truck gets tossed around too much.

9. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

it goes without saying that a one way plow would be better...thats what there designed for

moving alot of snow...the faster you go the farther it'll go naturally but even at low speeds you'll move alot more snow then that little 4 way you've got on it now

theres alot of builders out there, look at some of their websites...you'll want one with the highest discharge you can find

10. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

I run a plow for Mass-Highway & never get over 30mph & can throw snow so far it hits cars in peoples driveways....A 1-way plow will throw snow further wether your going 10mph or 25.....Don't screw with a wing more hydraulics = more aggrevasion get an 11' 1-way & youll be much happier....TRUST ME....By the way we run Good Roads & have had much success

11. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I agree. There are many good brands out there. I have a Gledhill on my International. The right side of my blade is over 40" high when the plow is sitting on the ground.

[​IMG]

12. Enthalpy

Enthalpy Junior Member

Thanks for the info guys! keep it coming!

13. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

take alook at some of the brands out there..i,m sure you can find one to fit your needs

they make some models that are over 70'' tall at the discharge

no matter how slow you go you'll move snow with that

14. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

we have one of these ive never used it but our guys say it blows away the standard plows on the city streets and expressways. from what the drivers say it gets an extra 10-15 feet on that traditional style plows at 20-25 mph

bonnell expressway