1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New plow advice 8' or 9 ' Boss?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Doublehaul, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Doublehaul

Doublehaul Junior Member

Hey Guys,

I currently run a 16 f350 super cab srw with 6000 springs. I'm doing residential driveways in an area that gets 200 inches a year. I currently have a 7'6 boss straight blade but am looking into trading into a larger blade. The issue with the current plow is that the area is very rural and wooded and the truck gets wacked by all the trees etc on the sides of the driveways as the plow is so short. I'll be getting the stainless super duty...should i go with a 9 footer or an 8? Pros and cons?

2. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

Depends on how wide your drives are. Will a 9' be too wide? Your truck will handle the 9' without any problems.

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

blade.jpg Ford super duty's are aboot 80", a 8ft blade at full angle is 83" wide, a 9ft blade is 93" wide. Get the 9footer since.....

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

get the 9' Veee. you can now influence its width.
    and a vee well shine on the narrow drives when you get a heavy or deep event over 5"

maxwellp and JustJeff like this.
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

A V would be my first choice too..... however it appears a straight blade is all he's looking at.

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

options,
    there is still time to sway him.

but thanks for the reminder.....

BUFF likes this.
  7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Well it took me decades to finally take a drink of V Kool-Aid..... On of the better things I've done for snow removal equipment.

Philbilly2 likes this.
  8. Doublehaul

Doublehaul Junior Member

I'm open to a V...just have never used one. The stainless boss V is a thing of beauty but man is it expensive. The driveways are mostly narrow one lane affaires but I think a 9 will fit. To be honest I'm not a commercial pusher...I posted her because of the increased traffic. I plow my home and the 1 mile of seasonal road it's off of. For those that don't know, seasonal roads are dirt roads that are not plowed by the county. I also do my gun club ( same type of gravel drivr) lot and my church...but it's volunteer work.

I am concerned about the weight of a big v.

The current plow is a boss standard duty so it's less than 600 lbs...just too short as stated...truck gets beat up by the brush

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

some weight added out next to the tailgate can counteract the weight hung off of the front.

Then when not plowing remove he plow from your truck.

yes, the stainless plows sure are purdy, but the lower priced steel plows do the same job.

a 9ft V is only 9ft wide straight when in scoop or Vee it is narrower.

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Since you don't do much other than a couple drives have you considered adding a set of wings to increase the width of your current plow?

JustJeff likes this.
  11. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Man if you can get your hands on the V blade you won't regret it. If price is an issue I bet you can get one that's just a season or two old. They are made fir what you are doing. A mile of seasonal gravel with 200" of snow a year. Put the plow in V drive down a little right of the middle of the road get to the end turn around angle the blade and drive home. Job done in two passes.

12. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

If you go v, don't waste the money on poly or stainless. The rest of the plow is still mild steel, which still rots out just as fast.

You're paying for looks, pure and simple.

13. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

And he also said that he was concerned with the weight of a big V plow. Correct me if I'm wrong but most of the V blades that are either stainless or poly weigh more than the steel ones.

14. Doublehaul

Doublehaul Junior Member

Thanks for the help everyone...I talked to my dealer today and he was also suggesting the V. The truck has 6000b springs as well as a 2" leveling kit installed so my dealer was not concerned about the weight issue in the least. Ive got my name on 2 plows...a stainless DXP 8'2 and the same in a 9'2. He is suggesting the 8'2 as he doesn't think ill need the 9. He's taking the 7'6 standard duty on trade as its basically mint.

Any thoughts on the length of the V plow?

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The 9.2 will be more apt to drag the ground when entering/exiting property's and going over train tracks or dips in the road unless you bump the blade forward a few inchs from V mode. Typically guys pull the blades back in V when traveling done the road since they're narrower and you don't have weight hanging way oot, nut there are some that don't.
    I went with a 8.2 DXT and put a set of wings in it, my thought process was if I did happen to get a tight driveway or tight lanes for a drive-thru I'd be able to slip through without fretting aboot width, also the wings help when relocating snow and the plow works similar to a expandable plow.

16. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

DXT Weights

Boss V Plows.PNG

Mild steel looks to be the lightest

17. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

And the 8' 2" Weights

Boss 8-2.PNG

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Mild steel would also be the strongest since the moldboard is part of the structure rather than a bolted on skin like a Ploy or SS

19. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

an 8 footer is barely a wide enough plow for a shortbed with an extended cab, soon as you go to a longbed or supercab to crew cab, you really want a 9 footer, a dually either frame length you need a 9ft.. we have many 7'6" to 9'2" Vs and straights and anything under 9ft feels silly, yet we don't do any driveways. I run a 9' with wings in NJ on a 201" wb F550 and that gets a bit hairy in some areas on the streets.. cars will move out of the way though :)

20. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

For what you're doing I'd save the money and just use a straight blade with wings. Add wings to your existing set-up. You're now plenty wide enough, and are saving a ton of money. If you were doing work commercially I would suggest a different blade, but why spend 7-8K on a new blade simply because the one you have is too narrow for what you're doing?