1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New per hour pricing I just lost to

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Superior L & L, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I just put a bid together for a Menards in our area. The store asst. manager was super nice and helpful. I get all my "stuff" together and go present my bid. They decide they will handle all sidewalks and salt supplying. This means i have to salt a 8 acre parking lot and lumber yard with bagged salt. I figure that i would use 3-4 tons per application or FOUR PALLETS!! in a v box. This does not make much sence to me !! they just want a per hour price for a salt truck. Now i could give then a good price and that would tie up a salt truck all nite or that same truck could be grossing $800.00 per hour putting our salt down at other locals.
    Then we start talking about trucks and loaders and said he had 4 quotes, 3 were in the $75-85 per truck per hour and one guy quoted $40.00 per truck and would guarantee two trucks on the lot for each snowfall. The Menards guy even said i cannot belive this guy was quoting this and that he doesnt belive he know what he's getting into. But he said this guy would be getting the contract unless im LOWER!!

I tell the guy to hire that guy and call me when he has 5" of snow in the lot and this "cheap guy" doesnt show, shows but cannot keep up or is stuck cos 8' plows are no good!!

$40 per hour come on people this is stupid!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

There going to plow a 8 acre lot with trucks & 8' blades ? How much is left for parking after a couple storms ? The salting is crazy. Sound like your lucky not to get it. To much out of your control.

3. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Thank god you were smart enough to tell them "good luck with that guy" to many people will match a stupid price like that making it harder for the rest of us to make a living

4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I needed the work Superior. I'm actually subbing it out for $20 an hour. I'm making $20 an hour to stay home. I got two homeless guys to spread the salt with drop spreaders we use for grass seed. All that is costing me is food. Menards is supplying the salt so I'm making out there to.

Just kidding. Good thing you walked away. Put that truck to work for $800/hr.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

That guy should have not plow. Do he have insurance for plow at Menard?

6. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

now that is some crazy stuff

7. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

That sucks. It seems like this is more common in Michigan than in other parts of the country. Maybe I should move.

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

the reason for the hourly rate for salting, is becasue menards will supply you with there salt form in the store and load it into your spreder,

and i have seen most bids around 75 per hour

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  9. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

I think you might see more of this during this season because contractors are becoming more desperate.

10. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i just get sick and tired of everyone trying to beat everyone for the last penny!. i droped by a medium size lot (1-1/4 acre) the other day to drop off a contract and the prop. owner scribled out my price filled in his own dollar figure and signed it and returned it to me, after we already agreed on the price :rolleyes:LMAO..

PJ

PJ

11. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

haha thats a good one. you should scribble out his signature, and write in "bozo the clown" and send it back to him.

12. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

well.

if money is okay this winter i wont plow much and will try to overcharge when i do.

if money is not so good this winter i have to plow for beer and spending money, more plowing than i want to do and at market rate.

if money is really tight i will have a sign saying "will plow for food or heating oil" on my truck and lowball everything.

13. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

that's unbelievable.
    Truly. :gunsfiring:

I wouldn't say a word
    Just wait til it snows and just never show up.
    You don't, after all, have a contract. If you modify a contract, you have invalidated the existing one. He has made an offer to you, you haven't signed his version. no contract.
    Let him try and find someone when the snow is flying

14. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, that's how much I charge for mowing, and that's a lot easier on stuff! Even a "Lowballer" should be able to get more than that. That guy brings a new meaning to the word!

15. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I think thats lower than what i ever took for snow blowing residential driveways lol. I can chew up $40 in fuel per hour with two trucks

16. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

So what did u do? lol, did ya call him back...

17. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

probably just runs his business out of his home and uses his personal trucks for work and has no expense other than $3-4k in used plows and his fuel..... i'd say he is doing good and probably is making twice as much as myself because of low overhead......nothing wrong with that.....also he probably pads the hrs a little if i were guessing...

18. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah I bid the Super Menards here in town last year. They signed my contract and were going to call me later that day. Just so happen another contractor called that afternoon and they told him that they signed mine. He tells them he'll do it for 10% less than all of my prices so they go with him. The other contractor tells me this and so does another employee at the store. I call up the manager and of course he denies it. I told him that my company is not going to ever provide service to a dishonest company and man such as himself.....;) In some other words also!:D

19. stillen

stillen Senior Member

you guys hate these low ballers, but hey guess what , they have to make a living too. I was competing for a contract with this other guy, and come to find out, its a teen who has a beater who lives with his parents. Basically hae has no over head, other than his insurance, and his fuel. In the end he's doing way better than me on the bottom end... Same with my lawn service. I have kids mowing lawns for twenty bucks and it takes them 1.5 hours. Those same lots I'd be asking 40-50 with removal of clippings and blow off the asphalt. The homeowner has a choice 20 bucks or 45, which do you think they are going to go with. In the end the grass is cut..... Same with residential plows, If I was going to charge a customer 45 for their driveway, and then some kid comes along and offers to blow it for 20 using his parents snowblower, guess whose getting that job.... Its the business, I'm just dealing with it....

20. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Very true...but in my case, the other guy is three times as big as me! Has new skids, wheel loaders, etc. Just makes me laugh knowing he isnt making sh*t off that lot!:D