1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NEW parts.... Online or local ???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dogplow Dodge, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Where do you buy the majority of your parts to repair your plows ?

Online? If so, where ?

at the local parts shop ? if so, are they competitive cost wise to the online guys ?

TIA

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That depends on the shop, some are surprisingly competitive others, not so much.

3. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

For me it really depends on what the part is? Good luck!

4. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Obviously, you're not going to buy a full blade from amazon, but little parts can be easily obtained through the mail.

I've used http://www.professionalparts.com/ for a lot of parts, as well as http://www.plowpartsdirect.com/,

but I was wondering if there was another favorite site for parts for our plows....maybe someone who sponsors plowsite itself...

5. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

dogplow, not sure where in nj you are but the western dealer in wall township, possibly trius, i have bought western parts from and were very resonable and had alot in stock.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Depends,online places sell "like" parts and dealers most times will sell genuine parts. Just depends on what you need.

7. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I use PPD a lot Very nice and they ship quick.

8. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Thanks Fatboy...

I've used them, as matter of fact, I bought my new blade (entire blade and not just the cutting edge) from them. I also use R&H spring just a few miles down the road. Been having my springs done by them for a couple decades now.

Trius has a lot of stuff, and I know that R&H stays open during events. That's where I'll probably buy my Boss DXT when the time comes....:)

9. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Thanks GV..

I really don't need anything right now. Just looking to expand my knowledge and see where other's have purchased.

Absolutely 100% right on ! Their SHIPPING is insane..... as when I had to order a new pump lift piston, I paid more in shipping than the part.....

Oh, well.. That's what you get when you don't order everything the first time...:nod:

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I buy mine stuff online even plows from centralparts and other places
    Cheaper then the local dealer here
    I only buy from dealer if I need it that day

11. xgiovannix12

I normally stock up on everything that can break on my route... My toolbox is full of parts and tools including fluids straps and chains. Also a spare alternator.

yes Im a crazy person when it snows :D

12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

People thought I was crazy packing a spare alternator. I guess I'm not only one does that

13. xgiovannix12

Hey it sure is nice to have one when no auto parts are open in the middle of the night. Like I say when you prepared nothing will break. Thats the way I think of it.

14. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Very true! Once ran into a aftermarket gland nut on a western unimount pump that was so far out of spec it wouldn't come close to tightening up in the threads! Genuine western was perfect and only couple dollars different!

15. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I buy most parts from local shop. Know them pretty well and always give me a good price. Sure I may still be able to get cheaper online but prefer to support the my local shop. Few years ago my E47 motor quit at 3am, called the owner up and meet at the shop. He let me pull in and swap the motor at 4am. Cant get that kind of service online.

16. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Yes that makes a big difference!

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try Jim Corbett at ESI