1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New owner of 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by DJ Contracting, Oct 31, 2012.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

So I couldn't pass up the deal, here it is a friend told me that he was thing of putting his Jeep up for sale. Knowing him and he was the second owner I asked him how much, he said for me $1,500.00. He said that he just had some work done on the 4X4 (didn't ask him what was done) anyway I told him that I would take it. so here she is, now all I need is input as for what size and recommended plows and upgrades for this vehicle?

2012-10-31 13.05.21.jpg

2. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

Nice looking XJ Thumbs Up Great price!! Since this is a light-weight, short wheelbase vehicle, my suggestions would be:

1. Real snow tires--keeps you from getting stuck
    2. Locking front differentail--helps you get unstuck
    3. Stronger front axle u-joints--yes they break trying to get unstuck
    4. Air bags in front coil springs--to carry the plow weight
    5. Air shocks in the rear to carry the 500 pounds of ballast--for better rear traction
    6. Transmission cooler--if auto transmission
    7. 6.5 to 7.5 foot wide plow--I like my SnoWay with down pressure
    8. Check the cylinder head-- The '00's are prone to cracking

I have all but 6 & 8 on my '00 XJ.

Fran

3. 1ATony

1ATony Junior Member

Man you stole that XJ for 1,500 It looks really clean. Does it have the 4.0 in it?

4. DJ Contracting

Yes sir it does, this XJ is very solid as it came from Virginia. Thanks

5. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Very clean xj! My brother has a Chilli Pepper red one, i will find a pic.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  6. DieselSlug

This one has a budget boost lift, b-stard packed leaves. Its a 97' with 130K, he paid $1800! Just needed an alignment and tires! I did the alignment with a tape measure in the guys driveway. Set it to 1/8-1/16'' and all good!

Tims Jeep.jpg

7. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

JeepTJ's suggestions are good, but I've been getting away just fine with far less. I run a 7'2" Unimount LSX blade with wings or a 7' Unimount Standard on mine with air shocks in front, a trans cooler and Winterforce tires. It pushes like a champ and mine doesn't get stuck...

Video: http://www.flickr.com/photos/papa-bear/5413425002/

8. 1ATony

1ATony Junior Member

I like the Ravine wheels on that XJ...looks great!

9. DieselSlug

Thanks! My brother has had many vehicles that have had major failures so he needed a cheap reliable set of wheels. So ultimately cherokees came to mind. Have not had a single issue with it so far. Sits on 30" mtr treadwrights.

10. 1ATony

1ATony Junior Member

I have a 97 ZJ and an 04 WJ. Going up 3.5" in the spring on the ZJ with an IRO lift.Thumbs Up

11. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Well, what are you planning to plow? It kind of makes a difference because you'll want something lighter for smaller driveways than long parking lots.

I personally would shoot for a lighter weight plow. The heavier plow are going to wreck your front end and steering parts. I have a Meyer 7' plow on mine and while it moves snow pretty well, its been hard on the front end components. Not the axle so much, but springs, bushings, steering components and wheel bearings. The plow was on mine when I got it and the springs were broke, u-joints completely shot and steering loose. I've corrected those things, but I can see that a 7" plow (the old Meyer plow) is just a little too much for this rig. I've looked for something lighter and saw a few this summer I missed.

Plus, a large plow is somewhat unwieldy on these rigs and when you get into tight spots where you need to do a fair amount of turning around a light plow is going to put a LOT less stress on your font axle u-joints. I'd shoot for like a 6' or 6 1/2' plastic plow.

You definitely want air shocks up front and, yeah, a tranny cooler. I would say snow tires, but I went back to all-season tires and I haven't noticed any reduced plowing abilities, plut it's quieter. Might try the tires you currently have first. Good luck!

12. DJ Contracting

So air shocks will work for keeping the front of the truck level with the plow on?

13. DJ Contracting

Nice video. Do you have any pictures of the plow mount?

14. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

That and it helps distribute some of the weight so it's not all on your front springs. My brother was looking at a Cherokee with a plow on it and it also had both front springs broken (like mine was when I got it). When I installed new front springs, I went with HD springs with are a larger diam. wire size. They probably weren't necessary with the air shocks. Air shocks give sort of a floating ride and I'm not sure I'm sold on the ride. I guess a lot of it comes down to how much snow you think you'll be plowing and, again, the weight of your plow. If you put a 7 1/2 foot monster on it, you're going to be in the weeds for sure. If you put on a sensible light plow, and don't do a whole lot of plowing, you may not even need the air shocks. Another benefit with a lighter plow is you most likely don't need much balast in the rear.

15. DJ Contracting

Well I made a trip to Pittsburgh PA. Sunday in the Jeep XJ, & I have to say I'm pleased with the XJ. I got 19.5 mpg's on the trip there with a strong head wind, picked up my son & headed back to Mich. With the wind at my back I got 22 mpg's. All and all like I said I'm pleased the XJ had good power, getting on and off the highway, and with a 4.0 liter 4X4 in a brick if a body style it did good.

16. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Good price, but they are known for cracking heads and piston failure.... 00-01 Cherokees have a 4.0 that is almost completely different from the older ones and ones used in the wranglers and grand cherokees. found this out the hard way on ours. It will show no signs of a problem and next thing you know your piston will shoot through the block in golfball sized peices. and for the head, keep a close eye on the temp guage, a slight overheating situation and it cracks below the oil cap.

Those are crazy mpgs too, with our fully rebuilt engine i have yet to see above 17mpg, but we have a small lift and 30in tires

17. DieselSlug

My brothers window sticker on his 97 cherokee sayd 17-21 mpgs..

18. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

The mount is just the standard Western Unimount mount for an XJ. Kind of a bad picture, but here's one from the day I put it on:

[​IMG]
    IMG00231-20100221-1114.jpg by affekonig2000, on Flickr

19. DJ Contracting

So did you have to pull the front bumper to run a plow or were you in the middle of the install?

20. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Just had to remove the bumper to install the mount. Bumper goes back on and looks like any other unimount mount. Hmm, like this:

[​IMG]
    1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ by affekonig2000, on Flickr