1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Or Used Plow??

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by fordtruck661, Nov 12, 2011.

1. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Hi guys Im looking at buying a plow for my 2000 f250 and I want to buy a used one but a guy told be today that it in not a good idea and its the last thing he would do. I really dont have the cash for a new plow right know but if Im just going to be spending lots of $$ on a used plow then I will just buy a new one. What is the most that can go wrong with a plow just need a new pump right?

Any suggestions would be great thanks!

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

there are a number of things that can go wrong with a used plow besides the pump motor. I would buy used before new though. Just have to look it over and make sure nothing is bent and doesn't look abused. Change fluids and cross your fingers.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Biggest consideration is how good are you at fixing things.

I generally buy everything used as I can save money on repairs by doing 85% of it myself. Anything else goes to my neighbor/mechanic in which I help him with stuff, and he helps me.

One thing my Grandfather taught me on the farm was "don't buy anything you can't work on yourself".

4. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

Fordtruck
    If you got the tools some smarts and a dry place to work on these things then I would say buy the used one, If it looks ok. If you don't have a shop then just buy the used one. These plows are not as easy to work on as you would think. good luck

5. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

Where in Connecticut?

6. fordtruck661

from CT

Thanks for the help and I am good at fixing things and if I dont know how to fix something I will find out how to. I never bring anything to a shop to get fixed.

Know what do you guys think of these plows im looking at. There for sale on a website where you bid on them (like ebay) but all of them have flood damage (they have all been under water) Is the only thing that would have to be replaced is the pump? The only reason Im looking at them is they are really cheep.

7. White Gardens

Ya, I would definitively say that if they were under-water then the pump is probably damaged. You might get lucky and take on apart and it will be fine, but my guess is that it got some water damage internally.

Keep in mind you'll need your truck mount and controller, so figure that into the cost of fixing it up. Sometime the best deals add up and it gets close to buying new on cost when it's all said and done.

8. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

If you shop around and know what to look for, a good clean used plow can be had for almost one half the price of a new one. If you plan to keep the plow for an extended period and money is no object, I'd go with the new one every time. If you are a jerk of all trades like most of us here, the used one is the winner 75% of the time.

9. White Gardens

And on the used is better subject......

A local plow supplier said they sold more plows last week than they did in one month last season.

After talking a bit more with them, it sounds like 80% of those plows went to newbees who basically financed their vehicles and plows. As a business owner, it sounds like bad business and I'm hoping to see a lot of good used plows and trucks for sale at the end of the season so I can expand my operation. Thumbs Up

10. fordtruck661

from CT

Im located in Burlington CT

11. fordtruck661

from CT

The problem is that time has long past and most used plows I have found end up only being $1500 to 1000 less than a new one. I got a quote on a new 8' Fisher with wiring and mounts installed for $4500

12. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

13. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm not living in the past,last week I bought an 8'6" Fisher EZ V in near excellent condition for $2250. and this week I'm picking up a 9' Fisher MM2 HD Straight blade complete in great condition for $2200. Maybe it's a regional thing and good deals don't come along like that in your neck of the woods.

14. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Are they both from the same guy?

15. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

Totally seperate deals.

I found an 8'6" MM2 Straight Blade in excellent condition near me for $2000., but the guy won't return my messages.....probably sold.

16. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

I started out with a used plow, and I do all of my own mechanical work, I just got tired of working on it for years so I just purchased a new one, that way someone else can work on it for a while if there are any issues. My used plow payed for its self the first month of the season and gave me years of good plowing, I'm ready to buy new that way I know how it's been run and maintained, and I'll be able to fall back on a warranty for a couple years. My main concern was that because I'm a one man operation I can't afford to go down and loose business, now I do realize that new plows can have issues also, I'm just reducing the odds and letting someone else fix any problems that arise.

17. fordtruck661

from CT

I wish that i could find good deals like that. If you find any in the ct area Let me know Because people around here want $3000 for a plow that is 6 years old.

18. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Wow,
    I've yet to spend over $2000 for a Fisher plow. I think I've owned 6 Fishers and they were all used, but never needed a ton of work.

I personally wouldn't be scared of one that was flooded. A nice flush, new electric motor, and fresh fluid should do it. Its just a hydraulic pump, not much electrical to get screwed up plow side.

19. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

II would not pay much more then 2 grand for the plowside for a str8 blade.

20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I put together an 8' Minute Mount piece by piece for under $1500 and that includes truck side. Works as good as a new one. So don't let "used" scare you.

I simply couldn't justify a new $4000+ plow when I may go a winter or two and not use it.