1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New or used plow? what size? make?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nolanb, Oct 22, 2008.

1. nolanb

nolanb Junior Member

I have a 2004 chevy silverado, crew cab 6.0 and i want to put a plow on it. I'm totally new to plowing, did way too much shovelling last year time to upgrade.
    I am having a hard time deciding to buy a new plow or to find a used one. I'm a cheap sob and I would like to spend the least amount of coin possible. if i can find a good deal on a used plow how do i know if it will fit the truck, how or were to install it etc.
    Any advice?
  2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

how much money are you willing to spend? you can probally get a new blizzard straight blade for probally 3600-3800. if not you could find a decent used western or fisher for around 2k, even if it came off a ford or dodge youll be able to get a new wiring harness to fit your rig same for the mount hope this helps.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

First thing to check is dealer support and service in your area.
  4. nolanb

nolanb Junior Member

i am in the toronto area and everything seems a bit more expensive than what i've been reading on the forums. i've been thinking about shooting across to buffalo to get set up
  5. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Like I've said to many others, base your decision on your budget, what your truck is rated to handle and what type of work you will be doing with it. Once you answer those questions you can than do the research to figure out what best suits you needs. Also, take into consideration, you are going from shoveling to plowing so make sure to upgrade your insurance to cover yourself properly.
  6. Gatekeepers

Gatekeepers Junior Member

i have a 97 chevy tahoe. not sure how to no what it can push and what kind of plow to use
  7. Gatekeepers

I am sure you will have better luck in buffalo check out craigs list for buffalo.
  8. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Most, if not all plow mfg's have interactive "fitment guides" on their websites. Just plug in your info & they'll tell you what is recommended for you vehicle. You should be able to handle most std duty 7'6" plows and just don't over-do it, plow with the storm, you might get in trouble if it gets away from you.
  9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You can get a good 8' Fisher minute mount for between $1500 and $2000, and then you mite have to buy new push plates and wirering.
  10. Gatekeepers

ok so if its a 8ft is it to big or do i need to beef up the front with torsion bars or leafs?prsport
    Also thank you for the support.