1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new or old truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snoluvr, Aug 19, 2004.

1. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I have posted a thread on pricing a large commercial job. Now my next quesiton is hopefully easier. I have an '03 f-250 5.4, 8' mm2. My current accounts keep me running all over like crazy in a storm.the accounts I have CAN NOT have buildup..at all. the customer knows this costs money and pays a ton. If I get this other 155,000 square foot lot, I have a dedicated sub who only works for me, but am not sure what to do for a truck. Do i go buy another new truck with warranty and low miles? My girlfriend helps me plow when I get behind or need rest, so I plan on giving this truck to her.What do you guys think? Buy a new 350 that can handle a blizzard, 8-11 expanding plow? or would you all buy an old beater??thanks

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

id buy a new/used truck 5000 or 6000 max

3. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

new used whatever you want but heres something to think about:)

img_0005.jpg

4. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Nice Rig!! That is the plow I have been looking at. I have just gotten a 155,000 square foot lot with myself and one other truck. I am thinking about that Blizzard on the next truck. Are you happy with the performance? Better than a Fisher. All I know is I need something to save me time on a lot this large.Enjoy the power stroke.i hear they r awesome!~

5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

snoluvr

The Blizzard 810 will save you on a commercial lot 30-40 % in time, the 8611 for 3ton and up could save you 40-50 % in time.
    This is not to mention the less fatigue factor. I run a 810 on my commercial and love it. Get wide.
    Dave.

PS. Get the newest equipment you can afford.

6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

thanks! i have no idea about performance yet i just bought it. but the constrution of it is beefy should do great, alls i need is snow.

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Ran mine commercial last year. No problems no breakage. That is not to say that there are not things to know. I shall start a new thread Blizzard 810 tips for the new owner.

8. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

that would be great Bolts Indus. tips tips tips tips tips in case you didn't get that tips.

9. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Thanks for the info on the Blizzard. Is is true they are twice the price of Fisher?? I guess if it is more efficient a higher price is worht it. I am now looking at a f-350 s/c with the 6.0.hopefully it would handle a blizzard just fine. This lot is SO big, I am hoping the equipment is up to the challenge.I change the oil every 2500 and keep on top of other maint. so hopefully no problems. I hate to buy another truck, but what other business lets you work 8-12 times a year and it pays your truck payment.

10. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

no they are not twice the price. i was going to get a 9' fisher xblade (stainless) it was 4200, the regular fisher 9' blade was 3800, diamond was about the same installed. i payed 4700 installed on the 810.