1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New on the job

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by J. Patrick Inc, Dec 20, 2007.

1. J. Patrick Inc

J. Patrick Inc Junior Member

Just wanted to say hi to all, I'm new in the business of snow removal, have a few years experience actually doing the work in previous jobs, I started a full time job in another field (law enforcement) and decided to start my own business this year. I'm behind the 8 ball this year, still in the process of forming the business, and just got the equipment and insurance all squared away, I have a few accounts this season, mostly friends and people I know who own property or business, and plan to use this season as a learning experience of my limits of operating. I've been doing alot of reading on this site in all aspects as to how you all conduct your business, plowing methods, down to problem sloving (customers & equipement). Needless to say this site has been a treasue chest of information and has been a great resource. Nice to see the industry where people work together rather then try to screw thier fellow man (although I did read a post where some of you got screwed by a con artist recently! which is sad, but its nice to see alot of people with thier heart in the right place) anyway nice to meet you all, and look forward to discussing topcis I'm sure I will encounter over the season!

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite. :waving:

3. TEX

TEX Senior Member

welcome to PS and i hope we can all help and maybe learn something too.

4. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome! How is it going so far this year?

5. J. Patrick Inc

I did a few small jobs with the last storm, so far so good, I will be fully organized after the new year so that will help, no new snow in the forecast as of now, so it just a game of hurry up and wait!

6. hadley-plow-guy

hadley-plow-guy Member

I hope you have a full time job. Because plowing snow is hit and miss as we all know. But being in business for yourself sure makes things easier. No asking the boss for the day off to plow. I'm sure you will do fine. Just don't get in over your head the first year.

I plow 30 resi's and they take about 6 hrs total to complete. I started out with 15 the first year and grew from there, as my plowing got better. I could do more but don't really want to. After plowing for 24 hrs at a rip you tend to take less customers.

The first year is always the hardest, then the word gets out and you're swamped with people calling. But beware of the ones trying to get something for nothing. Charge a minimum no matter what, even if it takes 30 secs to plow it out. Gas sure isn't free.

Just today someone refused to pay me for my services, so I did the only thing that came to mind. I stacked 6 ft of snow back into the entrance to his driveway. Not the smartest thing to do but the only thing that came to me. I'm sure I will hear back from him again. But I also plow the town judges driveway, he's my neighbor, so that may help. Don't do this yourself. Just an example of how people will try to screw you over.

7. J. Patrick Inc

I have fortunatley worked in a customer realtions type job before, and my current job also has some attributes in this field as well. As far as getting screwed - I know this is a potential of the business. I have a few tools in the belt as far as that is concerned, but I will deal with the non-payers accordinlgly. But, since you raised the issue, I am curious to how most of you might deal with the non-paying or the PITA customer!

8. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

non paying customers

I payed my college aged niece to call them like a credit card company would (not that I know hoe they call ) They finally got the hint.

9. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

This is my first year plowing as well, and so far in Wisconsin we've been hit hard. We're supposed to get some more tonight.

10. svelasquez

svelasquez Member

Hello brother. NJ Paramedic and fellow business owner here. Just added snow removal to my lawn care / handyman business this winter. Like you, got the insurance, have the business registered and have a beginning client base. Not sure how your brother officers are but I work in a shark tank where everyone is out to screw everyone else. They're the types that will go to the bosses if you're out of work on a day when it's snowing "he's out doing his side business! Wahhh!!"

I wish it wasn't so "hit and miss" as another poster pointed out. I'd rather work for myself than anyone else. Just not in a position to leave the F/T world, health benefits etc...

Anyway, best of luck to you.

Steve in NJ

11. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Welcome to plow site.

12. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

Welcome! I'm also PA based and new to plowing this season.