1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Old Chevy K30 Plow Truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MTCK, Nov 21, 2015.

1. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

I'd been looking for a plow for my V3500 to do my driveway along with a few family members' when I came across this truck at public auction. Picked it up last weekend and drove 400+ miles home.

I removed the plow and put it in the back for the long drive. It rode great, but got terrible mileage. Plow seems to work great, but visibility with the flat bed and lift gate is terrible. I haven't decided if I will swap the plow over to my V3500 and sell the K30, keep the K30 and sell the flat bed, or some third option. My wife thinks we are doing option one.

Specs:
    1984 K30 SRW, 292 straight six, TH400, NP205, 4.56 gears, great studded and siped Cooper STT's, 9' flat bed with Waltco 2000 lbs. hydraulic folding lift, Meyer 7.5' plow that I know nothing about and a little rust.

IMG_4151.jpg

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4182.jpg

IMG_4183.jpg

IMG_4184.jpg

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

That's a pretty sweet truck....... If visibly is a problem put some auxiliary lights on the back so you can use the mirrors.
    You can also remove racks and the deck for the lift in the winter.

3. nethel

nethel Junior Member

Looks like an E46 Meyer. We've got one on a 91 F150 and it is a tank. Just rebuilt it this year, so much easier to work on than our newer stuff.

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

That brings back memories. Those 292's run good, can't kill em.

5. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

Nice Truck!

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

E47, you can see the PA block. E46 was lift only no power angle.

I agree with Buff, take the sides and gate off, add some lights and have at it.

7. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted on which direction I go. We got about 4" of snow last night and today so I plowed for a few hours tonight. Truck and plow performed great. I think the V3500 might be a little long for some of these tight driveways.

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice looking old Chevy. I'd like to have one like that with an old pump under the hood Fisher Speed Cast.

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

nice truck, would not mind it parked in my driveway, it will pull a house but not a speed demon, for a plow truck mpg dont matter

10. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Besides takes them side racks off and modifying back rack for visibility that truck is perfect the way it is. Them older gm's are hard to find in that condition.
    You know it's dependable you drove it 400 miles. Don't expect to get good gas mileage.

The truck is a work horse not a driver. Work the truck when making money. I'm Interested in the truck or bed. PM me when you make a decision.

11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Forget the upper post I did not see you were in Alaska. That six has a little torque. You can maintain with minimal funds and effort. I would of liked to run across it. Get rid of some of this newer junk that's a full time job just keeping engine lights off.

12. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Thanks guys. You are right about pulling down a house. The gearing is just right for plowing, even on steep inclines. My per tank mpg average ranged from 5.5 to 7.5 on the road trip up cruising 55-60 mph with hubs both in and out. I haven't calc'd the mpg while working it. I think I will tune on it a bit and see if that can be improved.

13. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Awsome old truck I love those!

14. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Me too. This is the '91 I'm contemplating putting the plow on. One nice thing about our climate here is we don't get a lot of rust and it is usually too cold to brine the roads.

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3895.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

William B. likes this.
  15. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

that truck is way too nice to plow with each year you see less and less nice old GM's and more and more rusty GM's

16. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

That 91 V3500 is so nice, and a 4wd crew cab on top of that. The crew cab 4x4 are very very hard to find in that condition. I liked to call them a hillbilly limo.

17. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

The interior of your crew cab looks new still

18. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

It looked like this when I bought it. Reupholstered the two suburban seats and factory 3+3 rear bench with heaters in the 4 window seats.

IMG_0975.jpg

19. 72MARIO

72MARIO Junior Member

Two awesome trucks you have there !! I would keep both. The 1991 is the golden. Truck best truck GM ever made !

BTW My 1990 v2500 with 350/400 3:73 suburban hardly gets 9.5-10mpg on the open hwy. Thats in its best tune new crate 30 and rebuilt everything else.

20. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

That sounds about right. My 91 gets 10 pretty much no matter what unless I'm towing. I did a few hundred miles pulling a dump trailer at 16.5k combined and it got 8 during that endeavor. I'm currently rebuilding an L29 to throw in it which should help with the towing.

The 292 smells pig rich and has a little miss at idle, but pulls smoothly. Ignition system seems to be fresh. Plugs looked great, wires cap and rotor look new. I won't pretend to know anything about the Rochester Monojet. Anybody know if it has idle mixture adjustment screws?