1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New oil shelf life

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by metallihockey88, Mar 3, 2010.

1. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

well, figured theres gotta be a few people on here that might know about this. i have some oil thats been sitting for a while and was wondering how long the shelf life on motor oil is. have a full case, 4 gallons of valvoline diesel oil and a small case, 6 quarts for full synthetic valvoline. they have both been sitting for about a year and have no use for them. wanted to sell em as both of them werent cheap and im sure someone can use it but dont want to sell if it might have gone bad in that time. let me know your thoughts. thanx :drinkup:

2. Koonta

Koonta Junior Member

I've had oil in equipment longer than that!

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

oil has a shelf life? you sure about that?

4. metallihockey88

Well I've heard you should changed it if a car has been sitting and not started over a year. Didn't know if anything in it settles or breaks down after sitting for an extended period of time

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm quite sure as long as the containers are sealed,the oil would not have a shelf life.

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

its rust from the car and condensation that settles into the oil, not the oil itself. your fine.

7. metallihockey88

Ok cool that makes sense.just wanted to make sure. Would never wanna give someone bad oil. Thanx

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Sell the oil

9. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

I read somewhere that oil was good for about 5 years in an unopened container. Exactly what happens after the 5 years I don't know.

10. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah but its something like 12-24 months usually and i think longer for synthetic.

Ive had quarts of synthetic unopened for years and is just fine.

if its in clear bottles or you pour it out and it looks like its seperating and not the same consistency from start to finish pouring, probably too old

but ive only seen this once in my life and ive changed a lot of oil!

11. chasity2682

chasity2682 Member
    from canada

I have been told that the molocules in the regular oil start to break down after 3 months thats why you change your oil every 3 months or 5000 Km which ever comes first but I don't know how that applies to oil that has not been run at all in a motor. I know the hydrolic oil in our compresser starts to seperate after 6-7 months so it needs to be Changed. hope that helps.