1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new o7 hd's

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by harley hauler, Jul 17, 2007.

1. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

has anyone put hide-a-ways in the new Chevy's? if so where did you put them? headlights which one upper or lower? taillights brake or rev? where did you mount the supply (I have a crew cab)? and last question how about the switches (I have the bucket seats with the full center console) ? this is a re-install of a kit I had in my Ford. All Info will be much appreciated

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Been there, done that. :cry: :dizzy: xysport

The dash is very tightly packed. There is no under or behind the seat space either. Most all strobe heads have to have some cooling space and must be kept dry. I ended up putting my strobe head under the rear flip up seat in the corner - passenger side. Wires have been run under the sill plate and the frame rails. For the switches I used a matching black piece of plastic to mount in the tiny open space under the fan controls. Three switches; strobe, leds and top roof. ( yes the truck comes with a roof top switch but, who wants to yank their headliner and cut a hole through the paint). One push button next to the 4x4 switch for the air horns. Front strobes are where the lower marker lights were. There are also led's in the back windows and on the sides of each frame rail.

I'll post two video's at www.talongic.com/lights later today or tomorrow. Keep in mind these video clips use QuickTime and do not do a good job at showing the strobes or brightness.

Here are some picts;
    front.JPG

side.JPG

rear.JPG

dash.JPG

front.JPG

side.JPG

rear.JPG

dash.JPG

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

damn that trucks looks BIG and expensive. so how do you like the new 07's? just curious.

4. scottL

It's actually 6" shorter than my old truck ( K3500 1997 ). Minus one or two lot's in 10 seasons I've never had a problem.

As for likes..... I'm a bit mixed on this puppy. She has ton's of curb appeal - no doubt. The interior is clean and tight ( too tight ). The 6.0L with 6 speed trans and 3.73 rear gear seem very strong. I'm glad I did not get the 410 rear gear as this current combination already cracks the tires loose.

The interior has less storage spots to put things, no under the seat or behind the rear seats space at all. The space under the rear pop up seats is nice but, not practical. The metal on the truck is as thin as they can make it. For example when I had to pop through the floor board for some wiring I though I would need to drill for the pass through when in fact when I tapped my starting pit it went right through like butter. Those great big chrome bumpers .... their plastic. Underneath you can even see the the snap marks from the mold - very cheap.

I got the snow plow prep, dual batteries, etc. The engine compartment looks great, very clean. I'm sure the 6.0 engine will last. The fuel saving mode still has me confused. At some point it turns off 4 cylinders and then back on as needed. I've noticed hesitation in traffic at times and I can not tell if it's the lack of power or the trans slow to shift. However, for plowing the truck has a tow/haul mode which keeps the truck in a more muscle mode and that's cool.

So, right now I'm mixed. If I get tapped in traffic the truck will suffer greatly. Mechanically they did make many improvements and that part looks good. It was assembled very well and delivery was clean from the factory- good job there.

Before buying I really checked out Toyota and Ford....No body has the complete package so, at some point you have to give up or give in on something.

5. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns Member

Ive got a new 07 hd ext cab short bed with the plow prep package. where does the wires come out for the roof light bar? i took the 3rd brake light out and couldnt see anything? how did you wire yours up? and what mini light bar is that one?

thanks

6. scottL

There is another link about others trying for the pre-wired roof light bar. You have to take your headlinear down as the wire is taped to the roof somewhere near the center. I ran my own wires and came out at the 3rd brake light.

The light bar looks like a code 3 and is actually the same bar however, sold under a different name - in fact many different names as it all comes from china.

I bought mine from an online place called Viper Light Bars. ( I would not recommend the guy at all - it was anything but professional ). You can also find the same exact light bar at http://storesense2.megawebservers.com/HS4886/Detail.bok?no=53. I chatted with them and should have bought it from them ( it's the 14 led head unit ). I had an Whelen 3 rotator halogen and the led seemed just a tad bright in the day light and much brighter at night. ( I have not used it in the winter yet ).

7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

i too have some hesitation in my 06 2500HD DSL. I find this hesitation under acceleration to be 100% the transmission. Doesn't do it often but is especially evident when trying to suddenly pass on the highway. I have never noticed the problem in tow/haul.

8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Man that truck is long. I love it though. What plow are you putting on that.? Good luck with it Rich

9. scottL

Right now I have an install date aug 30th for the western mvp plus 8.5. Truck is actually 6" shorter than my '97 k3500 but, is much taller in profile.

10. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Man i am jealous. :p That is the same plow i want.The truck too, ill have to wait a little while for that though. Post some pictures when you get it. Let us know how you did plowing with it. Your plowing big lots with that right? I cant see doing small lots. Anyway good luck with it and the truck. Rich

11. scottL

Historically, I've really only had two small lot's in which I avoided. However, the new style is a touch wider so, I have to be more careful this time around going through bank drive throughs. ( I hate bank drive throughs - they squeeze them so tight it's nuts. :yow!: )

12. 06FX4Blizzard

06FX4Blizzard Member
    from NE ohio

i just bought a 2007 2500 hd.. the 2500 doen't have the fuel saving mode that drops it down to 4 cylinders. Only the 1500 silverados have that option on them.

13. scottL

I just dug up my paper work. Sometimes you remember the things you hear as if they were facts you read and sometimes that's not right either. In any case the paper work I have says; the fuel/engine saving mode is for the 5.3L and MAX 6.0L engines. However, the hesitation we may be feeling is probably between the VVT and the trans - I suspect the VVT ( Variable Valve Timing and this feature comes on all the engines ).