1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 042500hd, Dec 22, 2008.

1. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

When I shift from drive to reverse or vice versa and hit the gas I get a single click or knock. Happens in 4 wheel and 2 wheel doesn't do it every time but often. Can't tell if it's coming from the rear or front of the drive shaft.

2. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Id check your u joints first. I'd bet money that you got a bad one but maybe you already checked them.

3. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Yeah I checked them no play. But if I grab the shaft right at the yoke and move it up and down I do get a clicking that sounds very close to what I think I'm hearing. Is there anything in the yoke that would make noise?

4. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

im in the same ball park it just started happening let me know if you find anything out and ill do the same

5. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

ya, I noticed the same thing in mine. I'll put money on it that it is a u-joint. Although they feel tight, it's got 110k on it and they are all original.

6. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Ours does it too and I put in new joints last fall and it still does it. It may be just a noise these HD's make.

7. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Well today it started squeaking really bad during acceleration so I'm leaning towards the U-joints. I went to the parts store to pick new ones up so i can work on them tomorrow and the guy is telling me it's a dealer part. I have an 07' 2500HD classic body. In his system he did not have the option to choose classic or new body style. So he looked up an 06' and had that part in stock. I have to simple questions now. Because it's classic body the 06 and 07's should be the same right? Can I change the rear u-joint without removing the entire shaft? If I can I want to lower the rear of the shaft and press the new ones in. Can I do it that way? Thanks Guys.

8. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

If it squeaks it is probably is the joints. Both my trucks squeaked when they were bad. You probably will have to remove the driveshaft and just do the front one too. on our 03 I had to heat them up with a torch to melt the plastic retainers to get them off. On mine a regular little propane torch did not work I had to use oxy, act set up. Use the supplied clips for the reinstall.

9. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I was going to replace only the rear.

10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

my truck does it to... but only when its in 4wd... i think its something in the t-case

11. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 Member

The rule of thumb I was always told was change all of them at the same time since if one went bad then the rest are soon to follow.

12. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Replace u-joints. All better. I'll post up some pics later. I toof off one of the caps and there were no bearings at all. How does that happen? The seals were still ok not like they could have fallen out.

13. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Beacuse it was non greasable im sure. And ur problem should have been more noticable on the throttle then off.

14. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Yep the grease goes bye bye and the roller bearings get ground to dust that is the squeaking you heard.

15. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Since you have to take off the driveshaft you might as well replace both otherwise you'll be taking it off again to do the other one in the not too distant future. Make sure you put a bucket or drainpan under the area near the t-case cause some fluid is going leak out when you remove the driveshaft. Also might want to consider a new seal while you are there.

16. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

The rear wear out all the time Replace the bad one and dont worry about the rest til they are a problem If they even will ever be a problem. Have many of trucks In the high 200k with stock in the front and have had one or more changed in the rear.Grrease grease grease every oil change and should last almost 4 ever. And dont use cheap crap grease.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008