1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new need some help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jay741, Feb 6, 2009.

1. jay741

jay741 Junior Member

hi guys im 17 and i think i want to start plowing. do any of u guys plow for the town i mean streets how much do u make? how did u get started? what size plow is 7.6 good? thanks

2. TeeJ

TeeJ Junior Member

Oh dear lord I hope you are American or you will be paying out your nose for insurance.

3. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

Considering that most towns around here use 11' and 12' plows I'd say 7' 6" is a little on the small side.

You'd probably want an 8 or 9 foot blade at least for doing town roads.

4. Jto89

Jto89 Member

I plowed for my town for a couple storms and it wasn't my cup of tea. I made like 50 buck an hour i think and you needed a minimum of an 8 foot blade. This is my town I'm not sure about how your town is bigger the truck and blade the more money you make.

5. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

i plow for the city of lowell,ma. they pay 70/hr. for a 1ton or under truck. most towns around here want a 9ft plow minimum. i run a 8ft and the city dosent have a minimum. a 7'6 would do fine. your getting paid by the hr so who cares if if the plows a little small? as for getting started just walk into the dpw and ask if there looking for guys and what size truck/plow they hire.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  6. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

I plow for my town. Most around here wont take anything less than an 8 foot blade on a 3/4 ton truck. No 1/2 tons at all.

7. jay741

jay741 Junior Member

ok thanks for the info