1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New MVP3

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jrr102486, Dec 26, 2015.

1. jrr102486

jrr102486 Junior Member

So I just bought a new Western MVP3 about 2 weeks ago and have yet to use it since the El Nino crap here affecting our weather in Wisconsin with a ton of rain lately. Just upgraded from a Uni-Mount 8-6 straight blade to this, so its my first V that I've owned.

Been reading through the forums here and I'm considering the wings which come with the blade stops, or just purchasing the blade stops....

What is your opinion on these? A lot of plowers around me suggest them but as I asked my dealer he mentioned that the V's used to come with them but since Western now offers it as an add on he hasnt sold any in the last 5 years...

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

As far as the blade stops go, I put one set on a new Western MVP Plus, about eight years ago, and when the wings were fully retracted... they didn't touch the stops. That was all I needed to see. I believe that the ones for the MVP3 have been made a bit more adjustable, but I honestly don't see the need. Every one I own, and every one I've sold since, goes out the door without them... never had one issue.
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I had them(stops)on my red MVP3, I don't have them on my SS. I feel I should. It's 5 and a half feet of leverage against the pin. And the additional stress on push cylinder

My is a 9-6 with wings for a total of 11-4.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  4. cubicinches

Good point. Probably why the MVP3 wings come with them.
  5. jrr102486

jrr102486 Junior Member

Ok so you are feeling more pro blade stops than not. Mines only an 8-6 poly blade but still i know its a good amount of force on those cylinders and especially with the added wings if you are using them.

Now I also had the flap kit for my straight blade.... I know its good with powdery stuff but you guys think its a good option too with the flare on the blade already?
  6. cubicinches

I guess it's a matter of how hard you use the plow. Like I said, no issues with any of mine, or any customer's plows, and I do some pretty hard stacking with my 8'5' MVP3 (no wings though) But, as olddog said... with a 9.5' and wings, he feels as if it it could use them. I know he does a lot of commercial clean up stuff... long pushes, carrying a lot of snow, probably a lot of stacking. If you feel that you may use the blade pretty hard, especially with wings, they may be worthwhile.

As far as the flap kit goes, I had one on my last Wideout, and I felt it was over rated. I have new Wideout, and an MVP3 this year, and I didn't put one on either plow.Snow still blows over the top pretty easily if you get plowing at a good clip. I have plows in my fleet that have them, and ones that don't. Any new plows I buy for my own trucks, I don't bother with them anymore. Just my opinion.
  7. 1olddogtwo

F%#k a flap

I plow with the wind to my back....

I plow so slow its not a problem.

I back drag...

I only plow wet snow...

It only snows on my days off...

Pick cause I don't feel the need to waste my money on one.

OK, I'm cheap
  8. jrr102486

jrr102486 Junior Member

Well as for the flap, i was in NO WAY spending the money for the Western one, as for I already feel it was too expensive. I got a Western dealer that also does a lot of heavy truck/municipal plows and such and they just cut off from a roll however long you want it, and I know a great welding shop that will sell me a piece of steel to hold it down and still be a ton cheaper.

I just wasnt sure what most people were running with the 3's. Ive seen with and without.
  9. 1olddogtwo

I've got the materials, just never got around to it.

I wanted to make it like the Boss one. I like the center flappy thing
  10. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Yes the blade stops comes in the package with the wings!.. if your not gonna get wings, just fab them out of square tubing if you feel the need.. I agree about the snow deflectors they don't do much, however on the wideouts they add a good 3-4inch in height... good luck with your new blade and the money spend on wings will save you time if you decide to get them
  11. 1olddogtwo

few misc pics

Old MVP.jpg

caves 226.jpg

caves 220.jpg

caves 200.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  12. jrr102486

jrr102486 Junior Member

What size LED liht bar you got on the wiring channel?
  13. jrr102486

jrr102486 Junior Member

These are what I have on the back of the truck now.... 44" on the BackRack and 2 4" mounted to the trailer hitch. All wired in with my trailer plug and also on a relay switch for whe I actually have the trailer hooked up.