1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New MVP Plow, Problems Back-dragging.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Going Commercial, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

First night out with new truck and new Western MVP Plow, we got 2-3 inches of wet, heavy snow. Had issues with the plow staying in the straight position when back-dragging.

I put the plow straight, pull up to garage door, drop the blade, and back the truck up. The plow wings, from the weight and resistance of the snow, would move towards the "scoop position". It is not caused by any electric or hydraulic command, simply just the weight/resistance of the snow load.

Can anyone give me their opinion on what is going with this and what the solution is to fix it? I am trying to educate myself on what the issue is. The plow is under warranty cause it is new, however; I will not let them repair it if there is a problem, I will demand a new plow.

Thanks for your help!
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Don't have the expertise to give you a solution, but I can tell you that I have an 8.5' Western MVP and I've never had the blade move out of position when I've backbladed. If you're in scoop mode and you push into a pile, does it push the blades back into straight too?

Best bet is take it right back to the dealer.
  3. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I dont know much about Western, but I know for my BOSS in order for it not to that you have to have smartlocks, but I thought Westerns were more the less built in..you might try going on the western website and take a look..If not call the dealer..I wouldn't say this little problem governs a new plow but maybe a check of pressure and such
  4. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

I have 2 MVP's that I just got on two new trucks and one of them did the same thing on the Oct 29th storm. Take it back to the dealer and tell them you want the pump pressure setting adjusted and they will bump it up about 20psi more or so.Mine works fine now.
  5. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

My MVP won't move back dragging unless I try to change position then it just folds up to the scoop position no matter where I try to go with it. As to what is causing your problem...maybe air in the system? I would take it back to the dealer and they will repair the issue but don't think it warrants just getting a new plow.
  6. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

they're gonna laugh at you if you "demand a new plow" as would I. If its a new plow, there prob just some air in the system that wasnt bled out all the way when it was put together. No big deal, same thing could happen when you do a fluid change as part of maintenance. Don't be a dick to the dealer about it though, I'm sure if you're nice and reasonable, they'll be nice and fx the problem.
  7. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

Our 9.5 MVP has never had that problem either. Saying you just want a new plow is crazy. That's like you missing a chunk of snow in the driveway and the homeowner telling you to put it all back in and start over.
  8. ajcoop20

ajcoop20 Senior Member

I thought there was a valve adjustment on the arms that you could tighten up to prevent this
  9. fairwaymowing

fairwaymowing Member

As a fellow western new yorker, please grow a pair and stop talking like a little girl......"I will demand a new plow"......seriously? This is obviously your first rodeo.....good luck with that mentality getting good service......I always try to piss off the people who work on my equipment.
  10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

And it's obviously been said, but ya, def not supposed to do what its doing since it has push/pull cyl's. One thing I do not like about Boss plows is that they don't have dual acting cyl's. Not only for backing in v mode, but going straight in scoop mode. Smart locks are good, but I don't think they should be an "option".
  11. ajcoop20

ajcoop20 Senior Member

H20... This is crawlinnotch from CTR... small world haha
  12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Hahahahaha nice! Whats up bro
  13. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

At this point, an appointment has been made to find out what the problem is. I posted this to find out what the problem is, not to be criticized on what action I may take. The reasoning behind why I may ask for a new plow, if this turns out to be a repair issue, is based on my recent history with another MVP plow that has had multiple issues from the day it was purchased. Some of the issues were covered under warranty & some were not. Warranty issue expenses that were covered amounted to almost $1000. Just out of warranty expenses that I had to pay for were $1600. That in my opinion ( $2600 ) is alot of money in repairs on a plow entering its 3rd yr considering it was about $5000 new at time. I no longer have this plow, it was just traded in for the new plow when I bought the new truck a month ago.

I may be a small business but this is Not my first rodeo. I have owned 4 MVP plow since 2008 and straight blades before then. I am trying to cover my ass, so I do not run into the same problem as I stated above.

As always, I value everyone's opinion! I could do without the derogatory/bashing comments. Thanks again.
  14. ajcoop20

ajcoop20 Senior Member

Just tryin to get my snow plow on bro!
  15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I doubt you have a major problem at all. Most likely you need the relief valve turned up so it takes more pressure to have your plow fold forward. I would rather have them set it to light then to much pressure and you hit something and the wing didn't move at all, then you would have had a series problem. I still have 1 MVP Plus and I did have 2, I will say they are great plows and you will be fine once you get the bug worked out.
  16. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

You had problems with the last one so you go and buy another one.