1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New MVP has a Leak

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dr_destructo, Jan 6, 2013.

1. dr_destructo

dr_destructo Member
    from Indiana

My brand new MVP Plus, just saw snow for the first time the day after Christmas. Plowed for 17 hours straight and worked perfect. Three days later had another storm and plowed 9 hours. No problem. Truck sat for 2 days and noticed a puddle. Looks like it was leaking from the block where all the hoses connect. It leaked so much that the plow would barely raise. I took all the hoses loose and removed the cover. I didn't see anything wrong. Can't tell what port was leaking. I reinstalled and filled it back up. Bled it out. No leaks so far, but I am a little wary now. Any thoughts?
  2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Were you riding a button on the controller after the blades reached their stop point? I'm thinking you may have overheated the fluid. If not, take that thing to your dealer asap. It's got a two year warranty, use it. Western is very good about taking care of mfging defects.
  3. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

All hose fittings are to be made just snug/tight because they have a flare style.
    Overtightening can create leaks and the hose will have to be replaced.

All hose fittings have flare on hose end and a o-ring were it mates to pump assembly or rams. Inspect those and DO NOT overtighten.

If everything else looks ok and is tight,

There is a small fitting that has a small allen head.
    It is called a boss o-ring. (fitting with o-ring)

Its located top right area by the motor solonoid under the cover on hydrauic unit.
    We find the o-ring slighty pushed out causing a leak.

All hose fittings are to made just snug/tight because they have a flare style.
    Overtightening can create leaks and the hose will have to be replaced.

Good Luck
  4. dr_destructo

dr_destructo Member
    from Indiana

I checked all the fittings and I cannot see any leaks from that area. After I checked and cleaned everything, I operated the plow for a few minutes and no leaks. I also cleaned the inside of the plastic cover on the hydro unit. The plow has been sitting outside now for about 2-3 weeks. I noticed today, that I have a puddle under it again. From sitting! I pulled the side covers off and it appears to be coming from between the aluminum block fluid tank. Atleast thats where I can see fluid anyway. It then is running down the backside of the unit and dripping out the bottom of the cover. My guess is an O-ring between the tank and block. What a PITA! I'm hoping to get my dealer to swap the entire Hydro unit. There is really nothing else up that high that can be leaking.
  5. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

I would definitely take it to your dealer to look at. There are a few oring boss plugs on the manifold that might not have been torked correct from the factory. Have someone look at the power unit with the side covers off ( not the front and back ones). Make the unit go through all the functions and the pump "squeall" for a few seconds. This will help show some leaks. There is also a chance of a pump shaft seal leak, usually this will give a burning oil smell after an hour or so of use.