1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Motor now plow doesnt want to turn URGENT

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by jt5019, Jan 13, 2008.

1. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

About two weeks ago i had a new motor installed on my 8 ft mm1 straight blade with the insta act 3 plug system. Everything worked fine when i took it home from the dealer now the plow doesnt want to turn left of right. I hear a whining noise like the motor is working but the plow hardly moves.

2. 6.5LTDFisher

6.5LTDFisher Member

did you check all your connections and check the fluid? Maybe the fluid is low because it was new and you had to run fluid through the lines witch made it low?

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

fluid came pouring out as soon as i unscrewed the plug i couldnt get the plug back in fast enough. double checked the connections everything seemed normal.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it won't turn left or right but will raise, then the S2 valve isn't shifting.. and would explain why the pump sounds like it's "wining" since with the valve not shifted, the fluid has nowhere to go so the pressure that the pump is producing is being diverted through the relief valve and back into the reservoir, which will also aerate the fluid in the process and make it seem over full when you remove the fill plug.

Start with checking the S2 for magnetism. That will tell you if you have an electrical problem (bad coil or poor connection) or a valve problem (usually contaminated from a fluid change that was long overdue)

5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

That seems like it would be the problem to me..... right before winter i had the dealer do a fluid change then just two weeks ago he put a new motor on(seemed to work fine when i picked it up that day) now its doesnt turn left or right but when i open the fluid screw if pors out like its overfull and i know it cant be because i already lost a lot of fluid.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then I'd definitely go after the S2 valve first like I mentioned. IF you find that the S2 has no mag, start with checking all the connections. May just be a connection bumped loose during the motor change.

7. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Checked the s2 cleaned it out still got nothing just a loud whine when i hit left or right. When i took the s2 valve out the fluid looked like it had tons of air in it (all foamy) and it still sprayed like it was full.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

But did you check to see if it actually had magnetism and was opening?

9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Where im at right now i have no way of testing that.. The plow is having a hard time just lifting now. I lost a lot of fluid and it still pours out like its overfull when i open the plug.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's starting to struggle to lift because of the aerated/low fluid....the best think to do now is let it set so the air can work it's way out of the fluid and then have a helper check the S2operation with you..

11. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Do you know if a MM2 plow would hook up to my truck that has a mm1? they both have the three plug system. Buddy of mine might have a plow for me be he wasnt sure if the plows would line up

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you can use it..

13. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

Sounds like a bad cartridge. Heres how to test it, well what i did to make mine work had same problem you are describing. Take the s2 coil off and then pull out the cartridge, try pushing a paperclip into the top of the cartridge, if it is spring loaded and pushes back then it is good, if not it is stuck which is why there is fluid pouring out the filler and it wont turn.

14. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I did that without any results.... I took my plow to the local dealer first thing this morning turns out it was the pickup tube inside the pump had fallen off. They fixed that and added a retainer clip (supposed to stop it from happening again) and i was back on the road plowing by 9 am. A little behind schedule but i got it done.

Thanks everyone for helping me out! i think i gained 20 gray hairs last night :rolleyes:

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's a wonder it lifted fully with the pick up tube off... they'll usually wine and chatter before getting at the way up. If it was just in for service at the beginning of winter for a fluid change they should have installed the retainer then, as it's a very common and well known problem.

16. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

By this morning it would not lift all the way up but still lifted about 3/4 with some whining.. I hope that was the only problem, i plowed with it all day and it seems to be working fine now! They did service it right before winter then i had to have a new motor put on two weeks ago. I guess they never thought to check the pick up tube :confused: