1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New motor install?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by terrapro, Feb 5, 2011.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I am having problems with putting a new motor on the plow. It seems to just not seat all the way. Only about 1/8 gap. Tapped it in with a rubber mallet, should I upgrade to a metal hammer and just hit it harder?

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I think the shaft needs a little help slipping onto the pump shaft. Tap it a little harder with a rubber mallet.

3. terrapro

from MI

Well after a long day of nothing working we just took the armature out of the old motor and put it in the new one :rolleyes:

Bought a brand new motor and it is now half brand new. The pump side of the motor almost seemed like it was to long. I did tap it with a hammer more and it was just not going in any further. I don't know what is going on but we called it quits for the night.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Could it be the slot in the shaft of the motor wasn't lined up just quite right with the pump?

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Had the same problem when I tried to do mine, ended up just buying a whole set up, needed to get it fixed right away. Maybe we need someone to hold a Boss Pump motor class???? I would love to get my other one back together as a back up. Anyone in Michigan have the know how and is willing to spend a little time with a couple of knucle heads? Im pretty good with a wrench but I must have missed something.

Mike

6. terrapro

from MI

Yes but I doubt it. We spent 3 hrs doing everything we could think of and the old one just sets right in there with little effort.

That is about where I am at. I spend more time fixing shiat then working.

7. flykelley

Well then we just need to find someone who is willing to teach us and a shop to have the class at. How about it Michigan guys one of you have to know how to do this without wanting to poking your eye out!!!

Mike

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I'd be all about it too because if mine ever goes god forbid it sounds like I am going to have a hell of a time getting it in.

9. terrapro

from MI

Just going to pick up the entire unit shortly. It didn't work for some reason. Is there a possibility of it being something else because the i can hear it trying but nothing is happening. Stuck valve? How would I know?

10. flykelley

Hope the brush's in the new motor didn't get moved in the wrong position when you were trying to get it to fit, that's what happen to mine when it would not go all the way back in I put it in a press and destroyed the new brush's. It sucked.

Mike

11. terrapro

from MI

Yep you have to take the back off and slide the armature out then push down an the 4 brush things and slide the armature back in. Two hands help big time, we did it about a dozen times.

I ended up dropping the coin on a new full unit just put it in and it works great.

12. flykelley

Cole I did the same thing, sure would like to know the trick though.

Mike

13. terrapro

from MI

The guy at Thieser said it was the reman motor I bought from Angelos. The real Boss motor is WAAAAY better. Just visually there is a huge difference. He showed me a reman they have and it was the same junk that I bought from Angelos. I wish they would state it is reman motor but they don't care unfortunately. Just goes to show buy the real Boss stuff because it is the best.

I am going to get the original rebuilt and keep it for a spare. Or maybe sell it to recoop some costs.

14. BenB

BenB Member

I was going to say it must be a mix up with the motor because I just put the new Boss one on my '89 V plow and it slid right on.

I'm no expert, but I've been working hard trying to get this old plow running right, I've gotten a ton of good info from B&B and others. Here's a link to that thread. A lot of good tips in there, not sure how old your plow is.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=115750

15. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I'm fairly good with mechanical stuff. If you ever get in a bind, let me know. I'm close, and have been doing this kinda stuff my whole life. And unfortunately, I'm doing more sitting around, than working.

16. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Had this same issue. Eventually it worked and fit. I think it was the grease at that adapter gear at the pump it wasn't allowing release of pressure. A real pain for a while. But eventually it went together all the way.

17. flykelley

Hi Powers
    Thanks for the offer, I keep that in mind.

Mike