1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New motor for my spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by plowking35, Dec 27, 2002.

1. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The storm if you want to call it that here, took a while to get going. Infact it never really got going, we ended up with 1.5-2". Not a whole considering the forcast of gloom and doom for our area. Well anyway, things did start to ice up, and I went to treat the first lot, spreader didnt work.
    So I pull it into the shop, have power check all the things I need to. Unit does work if booster pack is hooked direct at the rear connector. Ok maybe bad ground, clean up the truck ground, and it works fine. So a few hours later, it is acting up again. OK unit is down till I can look at it later. Use the subs tailgate unit and new smith that we just got on the 89 chevy.
    Check out all the connections and wiring, every thing is ok. Take off drive chain from motor to spinner, and motor turns over very slow. So we suspect that the bearings are going in the motor.
    Call the smith dealer and they want 315.00 for a replacement motor 1/3 hp. Call the local independant electrical dealer, and they sell same brand motor for 260.00 but dont stock it, but do have a 1/2 hp for 270.00. Same bolt pattern and all. I say sold, took less than an hour to change it out, and they will rebuild the old unit for a spare. The 1/2 hp really works nice, smith should install this motor OEM. The draw has gone from 27 amps to 39, but that is at start up only.
    Now I only got 5 yrs from the old motor, and that doesnt please me, but in that time I have had to do no work at all to the unit, and last spring I ran 2 ton of 1/2" stone through it, and I bet that had alot to do with the early demise. I bet I heated it real good drawing that stone through it. So I know not to do that again.LOL
    Dino

2. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Dino, I sure wish I knew that you guys only got that little amount of snow, I sure could have used you up here, We got about 8" of crap snow, with lots of ice underneath and really bad pushing conditions, we got through it but wouldnt want to have any more storms like that, I would rather have 20" of snow than what we had. Oh well good luck with the new motor

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Dino, glad to hear you got a more powerful motor-more power is always better:D . For ha ha's what is your voltage at the motor now? Then check it at the battery,under a load spreading,if there is a drop from, the battery,it may be why they motor is failing early.I know you have enough reserve and charging capacity to jump start the Queen Mary,but if you are losing voltage thru a bad connection,Like you were,it will kil the motor over time.I am sure you are using at least a #10 guage wire for power,which is good for 30 amp on a short run.I thin kyou found your problem but ti was too late.you may be able to just sldie out the brushes,you'll liely see they are shot,adn be able to replace them. I maintain 37 Golf carts,and they use a .9HP belt driven starter/generator ,very similar to the motor you use,It is normal to have to replace the brushes every 3 seasons,and get the armature cut/regound every 6,.I do this quite often,its not a big deal,if you have some basic skills.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2002
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Brushes are very easy to access and they were fine. I was getting 11.05 volts at the connection with no load and 8.5 at the motor under full load. I did change the solenoid as I was loosing 1 volt across it. New solenoid looses next to nothing across it now. Anyway new motor has 10.95 volts across it under full load.
    I called a buddy of mine who is a great electrician, he walked me through all the testing proceedures.
    I also wish you needed help, I could have sent 2 trucks up to help you out. Put my cell in your rolodex. 860-608-1842
    Dino

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Dino,with the snowwe had another pickup wouldnt have helped all thje much without chains,I needed another loader.I tried to call you ,the # is my cell phone was wrong,the last 4 digits were 1845:( , i must have copied it wrong,I called her twice before i gave up.