1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new mini hoe since i have not had much snow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Mike S, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

got a new mini hoe. Not buying any snow equipment because we have not had many pushable events so i will buy excavating equipment.

IMG_20130128_172326.jpg

2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I'm jealous bro, thats a beautiful machine. next on my purchase list for sure

3. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

No thumb? Looks nice.

4. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice machine! So how mant snow events have you had so far this season?

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice looking machine. I have never ran a mini excavator but, I have ran a 140 Kobelco and Daewoo quite a bit and I run a 580 Case backhoe a lot at work. I bet a mini would be pretty handy.

6. Mike S

Thanks!!!!! This the first machine Ive ever had that had almost every option, very excited about hydro quick coupler on it. Thanks again!

7. Mike S

Not yet...... My sales man is working on it. He thinks the 12 inch bucket will not work with it though so that could be a deal breaker on the thumb and it would be a pain in the but for the hydro breaker.

8. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

nice looking mini x good luck with it is that 0 tail swing

9. Mike S

11 events. 1 event was a push and 2 others shouldnt have been a push but i will take them.

10. mercer_me

I wouldn't want a machine with out a thumb. The backhoe at work has a clam shell bucket on the back and and I don't like it as much as a thumb.

11. Mike S

yes it is zero tail swing! It should be nice ive never had a machine without tail swing before. It also has fast track so it goes crazy fast in 2nd speed i think almost 5mph:eek:

12. mercer_me

You will love the zero tail swing. It's really nice when working around trees.

13. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

nice machine good luck with it

14. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice machine !

15. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Looks Good!

16. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Ehh thumbs are only good for land clearing in my opinion. If you do a lot of trenching they get in the way more than anything else. It is a nice unit for sure. Curious as to why your dealer thinks you can't use a 1' bucket with a thumb though. I've never had a problem using anywhere from a 14" up to a 36" bucket with a thumb. It will be a pain if you ever need to use a hammer or a hoe pack.

17. Mike S

The pin for the thumb and the thumb are wider then the bucket....LOL! My sales man called me back and said 16 inch bucket would be as small as I can go with the thumb. I have a B850 hammer that gets used a lot and would like to get a hoe pack soon so im going to pass on the thumb. I had a thumb for the hoe that I just got rid of and I would only use it 3 times a year so not a priority right now if i need one i will get one but not right now.

18. Mike S

Thanks guys!

19. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

If you are handy with a welder you could make a thumb that would work for you. The way I see it, all you need is some 1/2" plate steel, a hydro cylinder, some hoses and fittings and you'd be set. Just get a longer bucket pin and make that your pivot point. Just an idea. Nice mini ex, almost had to rent one this past summer but ended up with a toro dingo instead.

20. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Add to that, if you really want to cheap out on the thumb you could make it a mechanical instead of hydraulic. just put two or three different pin points on it so you can adjust the thumb.