1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Mini Edge Strobe or Mini Libirty LED?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Burkartsplow, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Well I am in the market for a new lightbar. I have whelen corner strobes and two whelen linear strobes on my back rack and I found a really good deal on a new whelen mini edge amber for $379.00 free shipping magnetic mount. I was just going to cut the wire and hook it to my dash aux light switch in the chevy. I am also looking at spending a little but more and getting the whelen economy series mini liberty led bar for the price of 549.99 free shipping. I like to keep it all strobes, but I like the smaller size of the led and the less power draw. Plus I have some accounts that I need clearance issues and I just want to make sure I will not be ripping off my lightbar. So should I stay all strobe on it and save some cash for a reliable edge mini or get a new LED and buy myself a present? Either way I get something new/:redbounce

2. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I have one of the Whelen Mini-Edge 4 corner Strobes and it is by far one of the best mini strobe bars out there today.

The LED's are nice, but not as bright as the strobes are. We have several of the Salting trucks that have the full length Edge bars with LED's and they are nice, but not as bright or attention getting as the strobes are.

It's really a personal decision. If you like Strobes, go with the Whelen Mini-Edge, if you like LEDs, go with the other bar.

On my one truck, I did the same thing you discussed, cut the wire and hard wired it in.

Also, don't let anyone tell you that the Magnetic mounts aren't good. I've used them for years, been through car washes etc... and they never moved an inch.

3. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I find strobe/halogen rotators reach around corners for prior warning better than LED's.

Even police car LED bars do not project very far vs. older strobe ones, but when you can actually see the bar LED's pack quite a punch.

-John

4. Burkartsplow

I am going to permanent mount a magnetic edge to my back rack I just dont want to deal with having to run it to the power supply. I have the salter, corner strobes, salter light all running to the second battery. I am running out of room to put switches in the cab so I will just hardwire it and be done with it. I did the same with my rotator. Does anybody know what flash pattern comes on the magnetic mount. Is it just comet flash or can you set it to just run through all 9of them I believe. If it is just comet I am fine with that also.

5. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Even though strobes are normally brighter, the liberty bar is extremely bright. We have them on our patrol cars here, and they can be seen night and day perfect.

6. Burkartsplow

I know the permanent mount comes with nine selectable patterns with scanlock. What pattern comes on the magnetic mount with the cig plug in, and can you change the pattern inside the lightbar or put it on random. Anyone Bueler, Bueler, Bueler?

7. DCL

DCL Member

a tad of subject but since you are talking about lightbars maybe you could help me out. I just bought a couple 48" whelen edge bars. Im not very electrically inclined but one of my guys are. My question is, how do you get the wire into your truck? I didnt really want to just start drilling holes and trying to half ass seal them with silicon. How is it done?

8. Burkartsplow

On the chevys there are knockouts on either side of the cab in the back corners. I run all my strobes and salter controls and lights out those two knockouts and the power through the firewall knockout under the steering wheel. i dont know about fords, but you can also through the vents on the back of the cab also. I hope this helps. Good Luck,

9. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

get the mini liberty .. i ended up getting mine at truckntow,com for 487.00 plus 2 extra whelen liberty modules in the middle w/ power pack for $200 when i get home friday i will send ya pic ..... i absolutely love mine cant wait for winter , just my .002

10. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

get the mini liberty with the bolt style mounts and the full wiring harness

11. DCL

DCL Member

burkartsplow - Thank you very much, im going to try the vents, if not then I will try the knock outs, but I have to take the bed off to get to them. Vents should work though. Thanks again dude.

12. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

13. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

the liberty/freedoms are amazing any time of day

14. Burkartsplow

I would go with the knockouts in the corner. They are circular and easy to get to, You dont need take off your bed to get to the knockouts. good luck.

15. DCL

DCL Member

yeah im going to give it a try next weekend Thanks!

16. Burkartsplow

Well I just ordered a mini edge 4 corner strobe magentic mount for the truck. It has an internal system to lock in a particular flash pattern so if I want to switch it I will have to take off the top and do it that way. I am going to cut the cord and run it directly through my third brakelight and hook into my factory switch on the dash from chevy. Put on quick disconnects so I can take it off easy if I want and be done. I will post some pics and a video once I get it all hooked up. i just thought I would save some money and keep it all whelen strobes instead of going with the LED lightbar. Thanks for your guys help and suggestions.
    Aaron

17. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

well you certainly made the right choice ... i had a mini edge 9000 6 yrs ago till i ran it over .... love all things whelen ..