1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new mgt co - Horizon lawn maintenance?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Maclawnco, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Just putting feelers out about Horizon lawn maintenance from Canton Mi. They are claiming to be a management co with a national chain account in our part of Ohio. Pay seems sub par but am only looking at taking it since this one site nearly adjoins one of our walmarts. Just wondering if there are any negative reviews from past experience. TIA.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

TCLA can shed more light, but I dealt with them many moons ago. The whole thing was a joke. It was for 5/3 Bank.

5/3 hired Viox to manage buildings, landscapes, et.

Viox hired Horizons for Michigan branches I believe.

Horizons hired contractors and I believe self-performed some work.

My prices to Horizons were the exact same prices I had been charging 5/3 when we worked for them direct. But hey, NSP's save the customer money, right?

For the most part, it went fine right up until the end. We were owed for a small month's worth of work. It wasn't much, but it was the principle. We were given the same BS runaround that everyone gets:
    -he's out of town, he'll call you back (never did)
    -can you resend your paperwork? Sure, no problem
    -we switched billing systems in February, and lost all your records
    -you never sent the paperwork in on time

This went on for 6+ months. We resent invoices, even kept the fax log of when everything was sent in, as well as the copies of what was sent and that it was RECEIVED. Finally, talked to the guy from Viox, said sorry to have to involve you in this, but these idiots owe us money. Within 6 weeks we had our money.

As always, buyer beware.

3. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Ill wait for Ole Jim to come along. Thanks for the info MarkO

4. Mark Oomkes

You mean "Mooks".

5. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

my cell phone has you listed as weirdo up north. are you officially requesting that to be changed?

6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

In the past they did a lot of Home Depots in our area.

7. Mark Oomkes

Up to you, either one fits. Thumbs Up

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I use D&B https://creditreports.dnb.com/m/home to check businesses rating and pay practices. It gives you an idea of what's to be expected and also if you want to work for them.

He comes up as Tulipman and this is the pic.

db.jpg

9. Mark Oomkes

Better that dike........

10. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

you have an unlimited subscription? mind posting theirs if you do?

11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I know the owner. We actually worked together on a few snow sites over 20 years ago back when he was small, and the company I use to work for was small. Was just in his office last week. We're looking at teaming up with him on the green side on a project. He morphed his company into a very health regional provider (several states) years ago self performing and subbing out a lot work. He owns several company's and has been very successful doing so. He has a lot of equipment.

He's no one's fool, is a very busy man, has high metabolism and can be very demanding. Can't help you with how he pays his service providers one way or another...sorry. I would think if you're solid and do the job you agreed to do everything would be good.

Figures Ommookes had difficulty with him...he's difficult with most everybody. :waving:

12. Mark Oomkes

Careful there, Novocaine boy. ;)

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

PM me their contact info: name and mailing address also include you email address so I can forward the report.

14. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Thanks Jim. If you like them, should be a good relationship.

15. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Buff PI..I would say you drive around in a Ferrari...But we all know that's not possible

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

LOL no Ferrari for me, theirs no room to hang a AR in the back window.......
    The wife has a Supercharged Mercedes SLK Roadster which is like driving a go cart.

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Check the your email.

18. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Thanks Buff. Dug it out from spam folder before I left.

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

No problem, it was my good deed for the day......Thumbs Up