1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Member! WSIB Question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JD7230, Nov 23, 2010.

1. JD7230

JD7230 Junior Member
    from Ontario

Hi all,

Most of the year I am a full time farmer, and I've been plowing snow for over 10 years each winter. I've just gone into my 2nd year sub-contracting. I do all of the work myself, I do have a friend who can drive my 2nd tractor and act as a back up if needed.

My contract holder would like my WSIB information. I don't have a WSIB account yet because I haven't had any employees. I contacted WSIB and they said to register online and start paying my premiums for each employee to obtain my clearance certificate. Why do I need a WSIB account and pay premiums if I don't have any employees? My contract holder knows this...but I would like to hear from you guys before I go to him with my concerns, since I'm so new at this.

Thanks in advance,

John

2. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, Canadian only question.

Sounds like you need an Independant Operator Status. Call up WSIB and tell them you do not have any employee's, they will direct you to a form to fill out, which you will then have to have your "contract holder" sign also.

Send the form in, they review and grant you independant operator status. It's a 1 time thing, updates (ie WSIB forms are only good for 60 days for companies with employee's) are not needed - unless your status changes - ie you hire employee's.

Now, the "second friend" working for you would change your status from an independant operator to an employer.

3. JD7230

JD7230 Junior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks so much for the reply goel! Much appreciated, will look into that then asap!