1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Member with Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jeff's Classics, Nov 15, 2000.

1. Jeff's Classics

Jeff's Classics Member

First, let me introduce myself. Name's Jeff, just bought a 1976 454 Suburban, Silverado, dual air, 2WD, 90K original miles from the original owner. This thing is cherry. I've been looking for a nice older Chevy truck, blazer, or suburban off and on for several years, this is one of the best preserved trucks I've seen.
    OK, on to the question. How do I know if I've got a tall-block truck engine? I am looking for a set of headers and Dynomax says theirs won't fit the tall block. I haven't scraped the oil off the stamp-pad to see which engine suffix I have, but will probably do that this evening while installing the new spark plug wires and changing the oil.
    What headers do you guys recommend for a mild 454?
    Any other Suburban guys on the list?
    Thanks!!
    Jeff

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Welcome Jeff,good to have you here.You should not have a tall deck motor in your truck,the tall decks were put in the MD truck,and marine engines only as far as I know.It was in 427 and 366 diplacements only.

3. Captkaos

Captkaos PlowSite.com Veteran

John, you are correct. The tall decks were only offered in 427 and 366 displacements and heavy duty applications. All 1/2 tons used passenger car blocks.

4. Jeff's Classics

Jeff's Classics Member

Thanks for the replies, everybody. This means that the headers I want (Dynomax CeramCoat) will fit, excellent!

5. roland26

roland26 Junior Member

parts

congrats on coming on the board. and big thumbs up on finding such a fine truck. I have a 84 GMC that has had alot of stuff done to it. the headers for the 454 will sure help it. but dont make the mistake I did and let the muff shop
    install a set of their turbo muffs. my truck had cats on it and they replaced that too. I had just installed a GM crate
    motor and it didnot run like I wanted it too. I finaly went to another shop. had them install a hooker maxiflo muff
    ( from summit). that helped some. I then orded a hi flo
    cat ( summit) and that really brouht it alive. later I ditched the air filter ( a 6" open purolater) and orded a
    4" k&N. when I installed it,believ it that mabe a big difference.so you see you need to try to spend your money wisely.good luck