1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New member saying hello.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Bry@n, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

Hello all. You have a great forum here and I appreciate all the info.

I recently bought a new house with a driveway that is 175ft. I pretty much am responsible to handle all of the snow and ice situations in the household. I didn't think it was wise to use a blower for 175ft almost 25ft wide driveway. At least not for maximizing my time.

:yow!: {light bulb goes off in head} I will buy a plow. I will also do the 4 other families households in the 15 mile surrounding area. After all, how hard can this be? WOW, what a suprise. There is a lot more involved than I ever thought. I plowed when I was a kid here and there for my dad. It was a beater plow he gerry rigged on my truck for the "what if" times he needed help. I see now that I know little and have much to learn.

Truck insurance has been taken care of. I am not sure if I will be doing this as a business so I have no GL yet. The plan was to eventually do into the business but slowly. I'm not going to be rich overnight so....plus there is so much to learn and experience so.........

I am set up to get a Boss 8 ft straight blade on my truck next week. Now after reading a lot, I find the V blades are pretty good. I am at a loss as to which one I should purchase. I am a believer in doing things right the first time. Even if I spend more and don't use it. The one time I need it and it's therer, it'll be more than worth it in my opinion.

Sorry this is long. Hello again and I look foward to learning from you all.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Hello, Hello, and Welcome

When you have ? try doing a search, these guys have beat most of this stuff up one side and down another. It's amazing the amount of info in these files.

A vee blade is probably unnecessary for your situation. Unless you cann't just push the snow to one side and have to move it to a storage area.

Again welcome:waving:

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

What type of truck are you going to be putting that Boss on?

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to Plowsite Bry@n!:salute:

5. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

Thanks for the welcomes. I have done the search function and that's how I have found so much info already.

I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton truck.

Eventually, I plan to make this into a business. Not at the moment, but that's where I am looking to go with it in time. So that's why I brought up buying the V now as opposed to later on.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Welcome to plowsite:waving:
    You are going to love that new BOSS V-PLOW:waving:

Bry@n

I recently bought a new house with a driveway that is 175ft. I pretty much am responsible to handle all of the snow and ice situations in the household.
    I will buy a plow. I will also do the 4 other families households in the 15 mile surrounding area.rise.

Stop:nono: You will find out quickly what can go wrong when you plow your neighbors drive... If you hit there house, garage, wellhead, phone box power box. What if you hit a kid that has dug a fort in the bank? No amount of ins will fell like enough.... It's a good idea it get the right insurance! When you start plowing on others property.

I find the V blades are pretty good. I am at a loss as to which one I should purchase. I am a believer in doing things right the first time. Even if I spend more and don't use it. The one time I need it and it's therer, it'll be more than worth it in my opinion. I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton truck.

I like how you think.

.[/QUOTE]

basher Hello, Hello, and Welcome

When you have ? try doing a search, these guys have beat most of this stuff up one side and down another.
    And what are you trying to say:waving:

A vee blade is probably unnecessary for your situation. Unless you cann't just push the snow to one side and have to move it to a storage area.

Hay! hay! he will be grinning from ear to ear when he goes down his drive with the plow in ^ and the snow is flying to BOTH sides...
    lol... IMO...

Again welcome,

P.s. Don't belive every thing Up North (buck) Tells ya..

7. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

Hey SnoFarmer,
    Thanks for the welcome.

When I said families houses, I meant my own family. My family migrated from NY to NJ and we all live within 15 miles of each other. 1 being 2 blocks away. I know I will be okay doing their driveways. I do understand the importance of having insurance. I didn't before looking at the sites but after some really good points, I can see exactly where the need is.

In my own vehicle, I carry the highest insurance I can, have a hefty Home policy and even have a umbrella for the what if's.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'll be clearer. Most issues have been covered at least once. The important stuff more often. There is a incredible amount of information (perhaps the greatest data base on snow removal in the world) contained with in this site. Use sreach before asking, the answers probably out there.:waving:

Ya, a vee blade is the bomb.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I agree this forum is a fountain of info. I thought you were trying to say that were hard on the equipment.. lol:drinkup:

IE: basher- "these guys have beat most of this stuff up one side and down another".

well at least up one side, then I have to fix it so I stop there..lol:jester:

Bry@n .
    "When I said families houses, I meant my own family."

O.K. then you may not need the INS, if your doing your relatives drives.

Have you alled the dealer and told then you want a V-plow instead of the strait blade?:waving:

10. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

SnoFarmer,
    Called today to get pricing. The price is $500- $600 more for the V over the straight blade.

At the moment I am unsure which way to go. The straight blade is $4478.35 or something like that and the V is $5055.78 or something like that. This is give or take $50 so....

Not sure if this is a good deal or not but.....
    They are also a distributor which means they will have parts when I need em. (or at least I hope they do). I will see what the essentials are and probably stock up on them.