1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Member, New Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hewbert, Jun 26, 2002.

1. hewbert

hewbert Junior Member

I just bought a new pickup from a buddy of mine for $200. A '74 Chevy Scottsdale with a 350. I was hoping you guys could answer a few questions for me.

The only thing wrong with the truck is the transmission's case is cracked. Can you get this repaired?

Another thing I'm wondering about is making it "useful" in the winter. It'll get around just fine, but I'm interested in possibly local plowing (for the neighborhood) and perhaps salting/sanding the hill us poor saps have to drive up and down. I don't want to invest a whole lot of money into all this, so where do you get inexpensive plowing equiptment? Also, has anyone here made their own spreader? Thanks!

- Josh.

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Most Tranmission shops will just replace the whole trans... while you are there, you might want to see how much it will cost to build the trans for the type of work you intend to use it for.

Important suggestion - if its a 350 automatic and I am assuming it is .... think auxilliary transmission cooler and maybee a deeper pan (more fluid) helps keep the heat down in the trans... and if possible transmission temp gauge.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

hewbert - I think I'd be pretty leery of plowing with anything I'd paid $200 for. How many miles on that '74? Anyway - to answer your questions - I suppose you could get by with a welded transmission case. I did and even made it from the middle of Iowa to Herkimer, NY before it left me on the side of the I 90. You can sometimes find used plows on Ebay or at your local truck dealer. You might watch the Want Ads in your newspaper. One thing to be aware of - you'll need a mount specific to your vehicle for most model plows. Expect to pay more for a plow than you paid for your truck for anything decent. A rusted plow makes for very heavy snowplowing. Then expect to pay a couple of hundred to get the mount attached to your truck. Finally, allot some money for repairs to the plow and your truck throughout the winter - shoving snow is very hard on equipment. Sander - I've never heard of anyone making their own. I suppose you could take a bucket, poke some holes in the bottom... Another idea - use a "grass seed/fertilizer" spreader which is about $40 at your local Home Depot.

Finally, pay attention to what Jeff (JCurtis) said about the transmission.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Another place to try for your plow is junkyards. I've seen quite a few on trucks during my parts searches. You may have trouble finding a frame for a '74 truck, but a good welder can adapt most anything. Again, if you find a good used blade & pump, try the junkyard for your frame mount.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're looking to operate on a shoestring budget, you're opening yourself up to a heap of trouble. Your equipment must be in top notch condition to be reliable, and if something is going to break, it will do so at 3:00 am, ten miles from nowhere, in the middle of a blizzard. At that point, if you don't have a gun, you'll wish you did to put yourself out of your misery.

5. hewbert

hewbert Junior Member

Thanks for your replies. I got the pickup so cheap because my buddy had to move out of his house, forcing him to get rid of his extra vehicles quickly. The truck's pretty much fine. For plowing, I'm just looking for something to basically plow a couple of streets here in my housing development.
    Thanks again.

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

HEW, welcome...........this is the place for
    any plow questions ! THESE men know their
    stuff...............geo