1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Member - New Plow

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by markq, Oct 5, 2005.

1. markq

markq Member

I'm getitng my new 8' Blizzard straight blade installed on Friday night.....I'm SO excited!!!! :)

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping to get some help on...any advice is appreciated

1. - should I get the touch pad, or is the joystick ok to work with?

2. - should I get the emergency parts kit, or put my own together?

3. - should I get the rubber snow deflector?

4. - should I get the airfoil?.....I will be doing 99% sub work, and could be traveling up to 20-30 miles to get to the jobsite. Are there any problems with airflow to the radiator on these plows, or my truck (2004 GMC 2500HD)? I would rather get this and be safe instead of cooking my engine if there are any known problems.

I'm not a complete newbie, though its been about 4 years since I plowed. ******* I'm not one of the dreaded/hated lowballers. ********** I'm fully insured, and not looking to underbid anyone just to get a job. I will have to make a profit, or wont be doing any plowing, and wont be taking any jobs that I cant handle, or just to get some beer money (that seems to be a popular one). I would like to find someone in the area to work with, or sub for until I can build my experience level back up.

I dont know if this is the right area to post this in....it could go in the truck, plow, or business sections.......but I dont think I should post it 3x. Sorry if its in the wrong section.

I've been a member for a few weeks now, but have been lurking and reading for the last 3 or 4 months. Lots of great info here!!!!!

Thanks for all of the advice!!!!!!!!!
  2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I just have to ask, why get a Blizzard but not the 810?
    Get the deflector and the air foil. I was talking with the Blizzard guy at a show a while back and he says it works, he has a new Dodge, but on the highways it would get hot if it was warm out. He said it keeps his truck cool with the plow on going to shows in the summer as well. I just ordered one for my plow.
  3. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

probally a good choice a 2500 chevy would not hold the 810 to well from what i have seen. no idea on the other items i would go with a rubber snow foil and for the air deflecter does your truck run hot with the plow on? or are you doing tons of driving with it on.

4. markq

markq Member

Joe.....I'm not going with the 810 because it was $5100.....the 8' straight blade was only $3100. I would love to get the 810, but in a few years.....right now, with expanding my company to do plowing, and all of the costs that go with it (insurance, maint, attorney fees, etc) I dont have the extra 2K. If things go well, in a year or two my wife wil be driving this truck, and I'll get the 810 on a new truck.
  5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

well what about a blizzard 860 speed wing. Thats right inbetween a blizzard 800 and a 810.