1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Member in SE Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Zodiac, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

Hello all,

I am Chad. I just joined tonight, although I've been lurking in the shadows since last year.

A little about me. I live in Racine, Wisconsin. And I work for FABCO Caterpillar. I am 27 years old, and I live with my German shepherd (Nina) and girlfriend.

I own a 1991 Chevy K2500 with a 7'6" Western plow (the old OLD style with cables), and a SnowEx 375 salter.

The truck is plenty beat up, as it's been a plow truck it's whole life, but it runs strong, leaks not a whole lot, and does what it's supposed to do very well.

I bought this truck on a whim, after selling another older truck and having seller's remorse. But I got it so that I can do my driveway. And I have yet to break out the snow thrower.

But as things go in Wisconsin, when you have a winter like we just had, when you own a plow, you get popular very quickly.

So plowing my driveway turned into being a nice guy and plowing the neighbor's driveways.

And that turned into doing a few local commercial lots that buddy's owned.

I am also a member of 5th Street Yacht Club in Racine (yet don't own a boat, figure that out), and I use my truck to clear snow out of the yacht clubs parking lot for free (for them atleast).

I am a huge fan of GM trucks, as that is mostly all I've ever owned, and I own a 2000 Chevy Suburban that has a few minor modifications. It's lowered, and the front end is cleaned up. The Subby (as I call her) rarely comes out in winter time.

I am also a member of FullsizeChevy.com. And have been for 4 years now.

I look forward to participating in your site, and meeting new people.

And even though it's still the middle of July, I'm having a blast working on my beater plow truck, and looking forward to this winter.

- Chad
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome to PlowSite. ussmileyflag

I thought that looked familar for some reason.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome on board Chad :salute:

Since you've been around here for a while already you should know everyone for the most part...and their habits. :D
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Jump in,bit slow now so it's a good time to do so reading. If you ask B&B a question and he answers you have to send him a youtube video of Jimmy Buffett as payment!:D
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Tip: there's one right there.. :D
  6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite.

It is nice to see another Wisconsinite on the site. :drinkup:
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I guess I can over look the "bow-tie" thing seeing as you have a GSD.;)
    and you mentioned her before your GF...
  8. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

Yeah, that truck was in the Fourth of July Parade this year, I pulled a 30' Baja. Nice boat.

Otherwise she usually has fewer flags on her.

Mark, I'm assuming your in Racine?
  9. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

I'll be honest with you guys here.

I bought this truck because I had seller's remorse, and a guy at work had it for sale, and I happened to have the cash on me.

The truck paid for itself by the end of December.

And then before I knew it, people were calling me to plow other things.

I had and still have no REAL intentions of doing this professionally.

I got the SnowEx salter for $100 from a yacht club member that just wanted it gone.

At the least, I can do my driveway and the yacht club and help them save some money.

But I am getting more and more interested in the plow business. Even though I'm not sure how well that will fit into my regular job and I have absolutely no idea how I'd bid something or not.

This past winter I'd have a few people I know that own commercial lots around Racine call me, and 9 times out of 10, I didn't want to leave the house, so I'd say something like, "Gimme $200." Hoping they would call someone else. They usually just said "Yeah the cash will be waiting for you, move this snow."

Far be it for me to refuse $200 for ALMOST anything. :D

My extent of this site has been trying to figure out more about this business.

I had a blast in my truck last winter. And I plan on doing it this winter too, professional or not.
  10. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

I'll just e-mail him a picture of a cheeseburger in paradise.

Sorry, I realize that's lame. But I couldn't resist.
  11. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

Yeah. I love and hate Wisconsin.

I've never lived anywhere else, so I can't really compare. But it's a great state.
  12. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

Neighbor the first time he was in my living room: "Wow. You really like Suburbans, huh?"

I collect 1:24 scale models of Suburbans, I've owned too many to count, and I know tons of info about them.

Something has to be said about the longest running nameplate in automotive history.

It's a constant joke around my friends about me and my Suburbans.

Buddy talking to my girlfriend when she moved in: "And DO NOT touch his little Suburbans. He WILL know."

And the knowledge of Suburbans just kinda passed into liking everything Chevy.

I do however, have a 1974 Jeep with factory hardtop sitting next to my garage as we speak now. Fun little truck, but it's not mine. It's my dad's.

And my dog. Nina. I've had her since she was 8 weeks old. Both the girlfriend and my dog came from Missouri. And that dog has seen me through more than I care to admit, even though it's only been four years.

I currently want to add another shepherd to my family, but the girlfriend tells me no.

Nina hiding under the computer desk while I'm trying to sit there, with a weird look on her face.
  13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, I live in Northern, IL. You may recognize my username and truck from another site.
  14. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

I remember the truck from FSC.

Well hey, what's going on?
  15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Eating frozen cookie dough because it's to hot out. I much prefer 8" of powder and 25 degrees over 95, humid, and a few acres of lawn to mow.

How's Racine?