1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new member has traction problems!

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by fourbearfarm, Jan 16, 2008.

1. fourbearfarm

fourbearfarm Junior Member

A 1973 Jeep Commando w/plow was included when I bought my house about 10 years ago, to plow my lengthy driveway. My neighbor, who is a mechanic, helps me keep it running. We have chains on both rear tires. This winter, we can't keep the chain on the passenger side tire. It breaks or falls off within minutes, no matter how securely it is put on. Then I have so little traction I can barely get moving on level, plowed ground!

At first, I thought the problem could be solved by getting new chains that were sized exactly to the tires. My neighbor has been cobbling together various old chains. But the chain on the other tire NEVER falls off, even though it's not on as securely as the one we keep losing. Is it possible that more (or all) of the power is going to one rear tire, which is causing it to spin & damage the chain?

The Jeep is 4WD, but frankly my neighbor & I aren't sure if it's in 4WD.

Any advice or suggestions on this frustrating problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Have your neighbore watch the front tires and see if one of them is spinning! Why spend the time to write about wheather you have 4 wheel drive when its faster to look!!

Put some weight in the back I plow with a wrangler and I can pUUUUSH Blizzaks + 500# balast.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Can't figure out if it is 4wheel drive???
    You don't know?

Not to sure that your neighbor is a mechanic or not as a mechanic should be able to tell you if it is 4wheel drive or not.
    Can't you can not figure it out?
    Does it have a shifter for the tracsfercase?
    How about a front drive line?
    front locking hubs?

Add some weight to the back.
    Start with around 400lbs to 600lbs behind the rear wheels.
    Watch the tire spin, it is a good way to through a chain.
    Most commandos were not 4 wheel drive but some were..
    The chains may not on properly.
    I use mine(chains) in the mud in the spring/summer and I rarely lose one.

4. theplowmeister

from MA

Try swopping rear tires from side to side. That will tell you if its the tire/Rim

5. fourbearfarm

Thank you for your responses!

Adding more weight in the back & swapping the rear tires are good ideas, I will try them.

I'm pretty sure the front tires aren't spinning, so I guess it's not in 4WD.

I know it sounds ridiculous to not know whether or not it's in 4WD! I'm not an idiot, but I'm no mechanic & have never owned a 4WD before.

It does have a shifter & front locking hubs. Not sure which way locks the hubs into 4WD. I guess I need to spend some time with my owner's manual!

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

There you go...lol

Tale a look at those hubs make sure there turned to engage or the lock position.

there will be markings on the hub, the center section turns.

Then shift the transfer in to gear and wha-la 4 wheel drive..:waving:

Then you way not need to mess around with the tire chains;)

7. RipT

RipT Senior Member

In addition to all the real possibilities mentioned above, you may also have a rear differential problem.

8. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I've lived in Western MA all my life. For the life of me I can't imagine anyplace around here where you would need chains if you have a 4wd.

Figure out the 4wd issue and ditch the chains, add some ballast to the rear end and you should be good.

9. fourbearfarm

I really appreciate the suggestions & advice. I think a rear differential problem is a possibility, especially if figuring out the 4WD situation doesn't do the trick.

10. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Most hubs I can recall on my jeeps were always marked lock and free. Make sure it's turned to lock. I believe it was always turn clockwise to lock also. Pulling back on the transfer case shifter should give you 4x4.
    I often ran chains on my jeeps to plow but you certainly shouldn't need them just to drive around.

11. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

hey. i have the same problem. i put the truck into four wheel drive on the shifter on the floor and a 4wd light comes on in the dash. but i have no traction sometimes. i noticed sometimes the front tires spin and a few times i noticed the back tires were spinning too. how do i know it is really in four wheel drive? I don't have locking hubs or anything like that i dont think. I did notice there is a cylinder thing underneath the front that seems to spin. Is it a four wheel drive and how do i know if it is in four wheel drive?

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You should be able to feel the difference on dry road in the fronts if they're locked up ,

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

bribrius , Your truck and an 70's jeep have so little in common.......

well be quite...
    It's your problem, as riveting as it is, it is your problem....
    Start your own thread with your problem and let us help this guy get his jeep running ...
    Thanks....

14. bribrius

so you won't help me with my problem? i just want someone to lay under it while i drive forward and tell me if the front wheels move the same time as the back ones.

15. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

well this seems like a worth while thread..

nuttin else to do on a friday huh? :D

how bout some pic's ...........of bri under neath the truck while somone is testing the 4 wheel drive?

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

17. theplowmeister

from MA

bribrius
    " I don't have locking hubs or anything like that i dont think. I did notice there is a cylinder thing underneath the front that seems to spin" could be you have a bad CV joint up front and the cylinder thing is the halve shaft turning.

put the truck on some ice with the plow in a snow bank. now step on the gas and have someone look at the wheels you should have at least 1 front wheel and 1 rear wheel spinning. if not your not in 4 wheel drive.

18. bribrius

dude. i was joking because i think this entire thread is made up and bs. no one can be that dumb and no mechanic that ignorant.

appreciate the response though. least someone cares. :cry:

19. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

I'll lie on the hood and take the pictures:D

20. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Awww . . .:mad:

I thought we were gonna do a 'Bribrius test':rolleyes: