1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NEW MEMBER could use some advise

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rasco1963, Jan 2, 2006.

1. rasco1963

rasco1963 Junior Member

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see if anyone out there could lend a hand in helping me choose the best plow for my vehicle and use.
    Right now i have a 73 cj-5 with a 7'x24" plow on it.....plows snow very very well, but it is very very slow to raise and lower.but I am going to do a straight trade for a 1989 chevy blazer.....I will be putting the plow I have now on my john deere 955 tractor, so I need to get a plow for the blazer.
    I live 10 miles out of town, and have approx 1 mile of driveway and road to clear. I'm not planning on commercial usage, but I'm not going to rule it out either.....I also take care of a few neighbors too.
    I've heard that "the boss" plows are the best built and have the most reliable pumps. but I see they tend to be the most expensive....I have a list of 9 different plows, and just don't know what to get.....I really don't want to have to spend upwards of $3,500.00 if I can help it, but I don't want to get something that will always let me down and cost me money in repairs.
    I need at least an 8' blade with power angle. and would like one that when you take it off of the rig, everything stays with the plow.
    anyway, sorry to have let this go on for soooo long, but I really could use advise on a good plow from someone who has been doing this for awhile.
    thx, and I will be looking forward to reading your replys.

Rasco......(Ray Scott Baker city Oregon):)

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

With your list of expectations, only one thing comes to mind - "You get what you pay for". If you want ease of operation, size and reliability, then be prepared to spend more than for a homeowner or cheaply built plow. We can steer you to a plow for around $1 - 2,000 but it won't have any power angle or lift and won't be any good for commercial work. So, first thing is to figure - Am I going to base my decision on quality or price?

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Is that 89 a half ton or a 3/4 ton because an 8ft blade is a little heavy for a half ton truck. Why not look for a decent used set up? Or even on line, there is a place on ebay that is selling basically brand new Meyers set ups for around $2800.00. They are sandblasted and repainted, new eyebolts and trip springs, new sector and a frames and the motors are all rebuilt and they come with everything you need to mount it to your truck