1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New member, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hunter, Oct 16, 2003.

1. hunter

hunter Junior Member

I own a 95 3500 chevy dually. This winter I'll be plowing for a friend of mine. We'll be doing mainly parking lots at some malls and outlet centers. My truck is not 4W drive but I have a very heavy cap on the back. Does anyone know what size plow I will need? I'm looking into a V plow. I saw one last year, a 10 ft Boss I think, and let it slip through my fingers at $1500. (DUMB!) I would appreciate any suggestions. My friends seem to think without 4W that I will have problems getting stuck.

Hunter

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It's been discussed before, and I have done it as well.

As long as you stay on flat ground and have about 800# of ballast, along with good tires and a L/S or Locking differential, you're be fine. I'd go with the 9'6" MVP, or a 9' straight blade. Plowing with a 2wd is a little harder, you can't get as cocky, and you can't take as many 'risks' as you can with a 4x4. I think that I am a little better of a plower since I had to learn in a 2wd tank (79 F-350 dump). I learned how to do it right, without hotdogging or showing off, not to say that anyone does that.

You may want even more ballast back there, and a set of timbrens up front to help prevent too much front end sag.

Good luck!

3. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

The visibility to the rear with a cap on the back is a real headache too. Not to say it's not do-able--I'm accustomed to plowing in a dumptruck, which is just as bad--it's just a headache, particularly in tight spots or where there are obsticles, like parked cars or poles.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Do a search on plowing with a 2WD.You will find lots to read.

It can be done,but don't expect the productivity,and versatility of a 4WD.

Welcome to Plowsite.:waving:

5. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Hi hunter and welcome to plowsite. Some friends have no confidence in their other friends driving ability.
    - "My friends seem to think without 4W that I will have problems getting stuck." -
    Now understand that I'm just kidding here but I think your friends are all wrong, I have no problem getting stuck in my 4WD so I'm sure you will have no problem getting stuck in your 2WD.
    :) :)
    I would say that 90% of the time I plow in 2WD and only use 4WD to get "unstuck", knowing I can get out of situations with 4WD lets me plow the way I do.

6. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

lotsa ballast and maybe a set of chains to get the greatest possible traction from drive wheels you do have. If you don't run chains all the time, I'd at least keep a set available... Just In Case.

7. XPECTATIONS

XPECTATIONS Member
    from SE PA

2 wheel drive

i plowed the blizzard of 2002 w /22" of snow and a state of emergency. I have a 9' western c3500hd. 2wd one leggier no limited slip. I had 1.6 tons of salt in thev spreader. i was able to navigate better a 4wd dodge loaded w/ salt and cacl. we work in a Hilly are of se pa. all my contracts are elevated and choppy. no chains if you no how to drive and plow you will be fine!

8. XPECTATIONS

XPECTATIONS Member
    from SE PA

state plows

don't forget most state trucks are 2wd.

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

They also weigh 20,000 pounds or so, that helps immensely.

I agree, with the right amount of weight, alot, you should be fine.