1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Member 86 3/4 ton suburban

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Pjw350, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Pjw350

Pjw350 Junior Member

Well heres our new to us plow truck for our vacation home in the Upper peninsula. This is our 1st plow truck. The driveway is a good 1 1/4 mile long. The truck is a 86 3/4 ton suburban with 62k on it. Not sure what model the plow is.

The joystick wiring is rigged. Theres a red wire thats stuffed into a fuse and it keeps going out. Any tips on hardwiring it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any advice would be appreciated for a newbie.

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome to the site. Looks like you got a perfect plow truck for a vac. home.
    The plow appears to be an older western unimount, maybe one of the original versions.
    As far as wiring the controller correctly, ask someone else (cough B&B cough..) :help:

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Welcome to PLOWSITE! Suburban looks like it's in GREAT shape! Give that western a coat of paint and you'll really be looking sharp!

4. Pjw350

Pjw350 Junior Member

can you give it a rattle can paintjob or does it have to be by a spray gun.

You guys might get a kick out of this other truck we have up there. Its a rust bucket but it runs real good. Needs a new bed though.

[​IMG]

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Judging by your pics, Mark is right, it's a Unimount plow so if you need to purchase any replacement parts for it, that's what you want to ask for.

. The red wire is your ignition hot power wire that feed's all the plow functions..it should have an in-line fuse in the wire, is this the fuse your referring to that keeps blowing? Or does it blow the fuse that it's connected to in the truck?

Got ya Mark..:)

6. Pjw350

Pjw350 Junior Member

The red wire has a flat blade connector on the end of it and is stuffed on the side of a fuse. Sometimes the joystick doesnt light up and you need to wiggle the red wire to get it working.

I think I need to hardwire the fuse to the back of the fuse panel. Im not sure if it has an inline fuse. Im guessing not.

What is the correct way to wire this. Should I add wire and go back to the battery and add an inline fuse?

Thanks for the quick replies!!!

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I was just trying to get him to look for the right person who would probably know instead of me making somthing up for him that would probably make his electrical problem worse.

Btw, where in/around chicago are you? I'm actually in Woodstock.

8. Pjw350

Pjw350 Junior Member

Homer Glen- right by 80 and the new 355 extension

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, so it's not blowing fuses, it just isn't making a good connection in the panel. Yea, you can hardwire it and add an in-line 10 amp fuse if it doesn't already have one but you should still connect it to a keyed ignition wire rather than going to the battery.That way, if you leave the joystick on, it wont drain the battery.

10. Pjw350

Pjw350 Junior Member

I gotchya- Im not real familiar with wiring stuff into a fusebox but we are going up this weekend. Im going to look for a circuit that we dont use or an extra one and wire it into that and see if it works.

Can I rattlecan a new paintjob on the plow or should I have it sprayed on with a gun?

11. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

That's one CLEAN Suburban! :drinkup:

12. Pjw350

Pjw350 Junior Member

Thanks it is very clean for being 22 yrs old. It was a Fire Chiefs truck.

13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

and to answer your question, rattle can will work perfectly. Make sure you get that rust off first then paint it. Should last a long time after that

14. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Is there ANY rust on it at all? It looks perfect (the truck, that is). 3/4 ton too... that's an animal! Nice truck

15. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Rattle can will work just fine, just take your time, do a good job and it'll turn out fine.

16. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

reminds me of one we had in our household when i was a kid. the ford truck rust bucket that is. looks like maybe a seventy five? probably has a 351 clevelend. is that a exporer model?

17. Pjw350

Pjw350 Junior Member

Its a 79' Rust bucket 351 not sure about the cleveland or the explorer model. Its a 5 speed and its real good offroad. The tailgate just locked shut. I really need to repair the bed so we can haul firewood with it. I think it might be easier to find a new bed.

18. Pjw350

Pjw350 Junior Member

Under the running board is a little rust and theres a few bubbles under the paintjob but Its in great shape for the year.