1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Member ...500 foot driveway

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Clint, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Clint

Clint Member

Hi all

I am new member to this forum, have been reading the post about a week now, and thought I'd ask a couple questions. I live in NH

I just purchased a property with a 500 foot driveway so before the snow arrives I'm
    trying to determine what equipment I'll need to keep my driveway open this winter.
    I have used 10 hp walk behind sno-blower for many years, and have one of those for
    around the house areas. I have never used a plow.

My wife goes to work early in the morning 5am, so it maybe tough getting local
    plow guys to our place ontime to clear the driveway. I currently have a 1999 Tacoma, and
    1999 Wrangler which I thought maybe one of these I could put a plow on.
    Any thoughts on which one if any of these two vehicles would be the better choice for
    a plow, and what brand?

Also I am considering purchasing a small tracker for yard, field work, mowing etc....so possibly plow or sno-blower attachment on the tracker could do the job.
    Anyone here using a small tracker, Kabota, John Deere, New Holland... any thoughts on
    which is the best for small farm work, snow clearing etc..? Ease of attachment
    removal etc?

Thanks for your information..replies

Cheers:drinkup:
    Clint

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

personally i would put a plow on the tractor you plan to purchase. it will keep your 2 vehickles in decent shape as plowing is hard on them. but if your only plowing your drive and you want to use a vehicle i would choose the jeep as they are very easy to manuever. on a side not stay away from kubota when you purchase your tractor i have had constant overheating issues with the one i use at my work...

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well if the jeep is a 6 cyclinder or 4 banger? If its a 6, I would most put a plow on that. Jeeps make great plow trucks. Also the tacoma, if its a V6 and have the TRD package. Its also a great plow truck. I have plowed with both. Jeep turns tighter. Tacoma got more power. Which ever one that your wife drives to work when it snowing, put it on the other one. So you can go out and plow for some $$$ too.

As for the tractors. I personally would go with a kubota. I have never really had anything go wrong with mine. Its got 650 very hard commerical hours on it currently. Its still kicking right along.

4. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Who leaves first?

Welcome to PlowSite fellow Granite Stater! Now who leaves first? Put it on hers and you stay in where it's warm. LOL All right my vote is for the Jeep! Good luck, Hippy

5. Clint

Clint Member

Thanks for the info

The wrangler is a 6 banger ... so that would most likely be the better of the two
    vehicles for the plow. How hard is it to mount a plow on a Wrangler, are these mounts
    readily available? Any particular brand of plow reccommended for a wrangler?

Thanks,
    Clint

6. itsgottobegreen

Well its really a toss up between the two. If the tacoma has the trd package. Its locking rear makes it better than the jeep. If it where me, I would buy mounts and wiring for both the jeep and truck. So you could used either one to plow with. :nod:

Also is the jeep or tacoma auto or stick.

If going for new, blizzard 680 or 720Lt if you want heavy duty. For regular duty I would go with a western suburanite or a fisher homesteader (both the same plow just different color)

If used I would go with a fisher 6.8' LD or a Western 6.6 std unimount. Along with a blizzard 680/720LT. You can still buy the 6.8'LD new, but they only make mounts for stuff that is 1997-2003 or later depending on make.

I have the fisher 6.8'LD, I have mounts for a 1994-2004 tacoma and a 1992-1996 ranger.

7. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to Plowsite. :waving: I agree with Itsgottobegreen. I would go with a Western plow ( i have never used anything else) Also i would buy the biggest homeowner plow that will fit BOTH vehicles. I think the plows are 6', 6'5", 7', and 7'4" You might be able to put a 7'4" plow on the pick up but not on the jeep. I don't know the specs on your trucks or i would do it for you. You would have to buy 2 mounts and wiring kits, but just one plow. This way if your wife decides to take the jeep you can plow with the pickup and so on. Also you would be plowing with the storm, I wouldn't wait until it stopped. In that case i wouldn't want to plow in a tractor unless you had a cab. To go out and buy one of these, it would be cheaper to put a plow on the trucks. At the top of the screen there is a link for the Western website ( you can use Fisher too, it is the same thing just different color) Use the Quick match to see what plow will work with your truck and do the jeep. The best tip i can give you is PLOW with the STORM. Don't wait until it stops. If you had like 2-4" thats no problem but if you get a foot you may not be able to move it or your going to break your a*s :realmad:. Second it make sure you have a good spot to push the snow, so that you will have more room encase if you get alot of snow or you have multiple storms. Hope this all helps. Good luck Rich

8. Clint

Clint Member

Ok good information, thanks very much, should get me started in the right
    direction prsport

Not sure if my Tacoma has the TRD package, what exactly was included in this
    package? My '99 Tacoma is pretty much plain SR5 I believe, it has the extended
    cab, and 4 cyclinder engine. I'll search out some local plow distributors, hopefully
    they'll be able to get me started.

Clint

9. Clint

Clint Member

One thing I forgot to mention both my vehicles have manual trannys...but I wouldn't buy a
    auto!! :nono:

10. itsgottobegreen

Well you are defently going to be on the learning plowing with the manual. Read up about plowing with a manual here. Mostly how to not to burn up a clutch and plowing.

If you have a 4 banger you don't have the trd package. That came on the V6 models only.

I would probably lean more towards the jeep since the tacoma is a 4 banger.

11. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

Clint another Idea

Consider a Superplow www.superplow.com our plow is made for conditions such as yours, and we're in your own backyard...You can also use it on two vehicles with an additional wiring kit.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  12. Clint

Clint Member

Thanks for the helpful info!
    I'm going to go with a Western Suburbanite or Fisher Homesteader since there are a few
    dealers close by.
    Where on the plowsite can I find information on plowing with a manual, and how to plow
    in general?

Thanks,
    Clint

13. Quality SR

You can do a search. There are guys on here that plow with a manual tranny.

14. Quality SR

15. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I like that. IT's really a nice setup for a homeowner. OR as a nice back plow for residentals.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  16. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

Thanks Yama

Thanks YAMAGUY we ARE :nod: perfect for homeowners who don't want to spend 3-5k on a plow and become independent! And hang a frame off your vehicles. We are 50/50 homeowner/Commercial built to last and transportable to your next vehicle...retire that old junker and use your SUV or truck.:cool:

17. harryp

harryp Junior Member
    from MA

I just put a Fisher Homesteader plow on my 2004 Wrangler TJ. Its a 6 banger. The web site does not show a plow model number for a 6 banger (only the 4 banger) because one dealer told me the plow weight would exceed the front axle gross weight rating on the 6. I'm just doing my driveway, not traveling around with this thing, so who cares. I ordered the 4 cyl model number and it fits fine on the 6. Had to drill 2 holes in the frame (after removing front wheels), which was easy. Drilling is part of the normal installation, not because I have a 6. It appears that Fisher has some problems with manufacturing as welded mount bracket holes were out of alignment and I couldn't insert the pins (had to enlarge holes slightly with a drill) and one of the 2 mount brackets had a slanted guide welded higher than the other bracket, making it impossible to remove the plow without a crowbar to pull out the pin. Had to grind off quite a bit. Apparently no jigs/fixtures in Manufacturing. My hydraulic unit was leaking fluid around the large O ring before I even mounted it! Removed the reservoir cover to find its O ring distorted, a filter O ring pinched/ruined, the filter hold-down bracket and its bolt completely missing. Came with several wiring harnesses which made things pretty easy.
    Pretty disappointing experience with the hydraulic unit but the dealer gave me a new one in 2 minutes with no questions asked. Good luck.

18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

They work well in conjunction WITH a front mounted plow.

You are pulling the snow.
    Where do you put the snow?
    Where do you put the next pile?
    Do you drive through the last pile?
    You will get stuck fast this way.
    How do you stack the snow?
    What is the home owner to do with the snow?

It's going to snow more than 1 time.;)

I think your pick up is a better choice than the jeep.
    You can add more ballast/counter weight to the pick-up and it's heaver to start with witch will come in handy on that 500ft push.
    Do you have hills? Is your road wide or narrow are there places to ditch the snow along the way?
    What I'm getting at is you are a good candidate for a V-plow but you will need a bigger truck.

The tractor will work too but remember you will be sitting on it at 4am before the wife leaves, no heat, no radio and no cup holder for that morning coffee.

19. new member also. plowed my driveway 500 ft with a 1967 chevy pick up just got a fisher for my 2005 3500 1 ton duramax trying to make a go at it with plowing for profit in the laconia winnisquam area

20. just testing