1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new measuring wheels

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by happy, Mar 9, 2010.

1. happy

happy Junior Member

I have new meter man measuring wheels for sale in box. They are series 31 wheels that measure in feet and inches. They are the new bright flourescent green wheels with a collapsable aluminum handle.
    Order 1= $65 each with free shipping do your door.
    2-3 wheels $60 each with free shipping to your door
    5 or more= $55 each with free shipping to your door

Taken from Meter man measuring wheels website:
    The 10 inch diameter wheel is large enough for smooth ground applications, yet small enough for indoor use and convenient storage. A 5 digit counter permits long distance measuring.

Comes equipped with convenient kickstand.

Applications include: Adjusters, Contractors, Grounds Maintenance, Property Estimating.

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Really

OK who uses measuring wheels for plowing? I see you only have one post are you a sponsor on here?

3. happy

happy Junior Member

measuring wheels

We use measuring wheels to measure the square footage of a lot to calculate how much melting product to base our proposal off of. I am not sure how other guys do it? Maybe just guess? I don't know? We try to derive a very accurate proposal.
    Also I am going out on a limb here but I would say that at least 30% (probably way more) of register users of this site are also in the green industry, and which would translate into the need to measure lawn for chemical applications, mowing, or landscaped areas for mulch takeoffs.
    Am I a sponsor? No, not on this site, but I am a sponsor of our local little league team.
    I am unsure whether you are in need of a measuring wheel or not, you did not put it in your post. If you are feel free to let me know.

4. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

I use a wheel and proud of it

5. DJ Contracting

Sponsors pay to advertise on here this isn't your local little league. I use a measuring wheel for my seal coat jobs, as far as measuring for salt measure all you want it's still a guessing game...it depends on the conditions and nobody can tell me they know exactly how much bulks salt they put down. Now bagged salt is different if you use everything you put into the hopper. Fireman I'm glad your proud of using your wheel.

6. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Bit uptight, no? A lot of guys use measuring wheels for snow. A lot of ppl use bing or google too. And guessing game or not, measurements give you a basis for a bid number calculated by lbs per square foot. Maybe you should sponser a little league team.

7. DJ Contracting

Done that now have moved on you still sponsoring a little league team

8. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

no time, too busy measuring properties........

9. DJ Contracting

Practice make you a pro

10. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Are you speaking from experience?

11. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

An experienced operator in a pick up truck with a 8 foot blade can move three inches of snow with minimal obstructions in an hour or just under.

All my properties are measured so there are no surprises.

12. DJ Contracting

I don't know it seems like you have that down anyway they have sponsors on here for a reason right, that's all I was getting at now if you want to continue we can

13. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

One post and he's been a member since December 2004.

14. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

That was my point DJ, a bit abrasive. Its all good, he was just asking.

15. DJ Contracting

Snobgone I try not to be so harsh but sometimes I come off that way, anybody can look up any of my post and see I normally am not critical, if I offended anybody well I apologise. Like you said it's all good

16. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

I'm sure Mr. happy likes being up

on the top of the posting list for this category, thanks to us!

17. happy

happy Junior Member

Dj contracting:
    I know there are unlimeted variables, such as sun exposure, temp, moisture content of the snow. etc. We only use this as a number (an average ) to estimate for our proposals. Maybe i can learn something, how do you price your salting applications, without knowing how big (sq. footage) a lot is?
    One of our lots for example-6000sq. foot parking lot no shade, how many pounds would you estimate using per application, and then tell me how you got to that number, and why.
    Maybe I have been going about it all wrong by measuring the lots?