1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New md75 on a 2004 chevy 1500

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Ericjr16, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Ericjr16

Ericjr16 Member

Hi ,this is my first post and first plow! My dad wanted a plow on his truck and we came across the Snowdogg. Great looking plow for the money. The only issue we have is mounting it back on plow. We have been practicing putting it on and off. Yesterday, we got it all lined up and thought mounted, I lifted it up and the drivers side pin was off a hair and it fell. Dad had the safety pin in ,said it was lined up? Otherwise, it has been fairly easy to install. The snow that came yesterday wasn't enough to try it though :(

DSC01279.jpg

2. ppap

ppap Junior Member

I too struggle with the engagement. I think they could have designed it better, similar to the guide channels Fisher uses. The $1000 difference makes up for it.

3. Ericjr16

Ericjr16 Member

Hi, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. Thought I did something wrong. I thought they should have longer guide tapers on the pins. This way they kinda guide it in better. All in all, it only took us twenty minutes with our mistake. I had to run and get the floor jack as the plow was too low to get stock jack on. I wish we had some snow though, this just teased us snowplow virgins!!

4. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

Can you get a picture of how the mount is on the front and did you have to cut any plastic away for the mount to fit? i have an 04 chevy also and was leading towards the snow dogg for next year.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I dont get how all you guys are having these issues taking these plows off and on. I can take my Dogg off in 30 seconds or less. Here is a quick easy trick, get the plow almost on, make sure the lift ram is lowered all the way, and just rock the head gear once and it will snap right in guaranteed. I do that every time and it works every time. I doesnt take much to rock the head gear either. This plow is one of the easiest I have owned to mount and dismount. Just a little more practice and it will be a piece of cake!!

6. Ericjr16

Ericjr16 Member

Hi, I'll try to get one when I can. The plow was installed for us by the dealer and it isn't cut at all. The dealer was surprised at that. The only thing is the mount is quite low. You have to be careful when near a parking curb.

7. Ericjr16

Ericjr16 Member

Hi, I do as you say now,I have the plow outside as I don't have a garage so I might have issues with plow sinking.. I do as the directions say and as a forum post here under "Ranting" suggested. Sir, I rock the head gear too, My issue maybe just sinking in the ground while it is off the truck. I need the practice also.

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

The plow sinking could be an issue. Maybe consider dropping it on some 2x6s and that should help spread the weight of the plow out and keep it from sinking much. Dropping it in a garage does make a big difference, lol.

9. V-Dogg

V-Dogg Junior Member

Same here I have the VX 85 and is easy to put on and I also rock the light tower in.Trip the pins forward as if you were locking them and rock the tower forward and the pins will self engage. The only problem I have is when I take the plow off there is preasure on the pins and i can't get the "foot pedal" to release without sitting over the trip springs and pushing on the tower,then I can release the "foot pedal"Not real hard but not real comfortable either.But still very easy compared to my Boss RT2 which was a real pain at times.Setting the plow on a 2x6 will help keep the plow from settling into the ground.I had that problem with my Boss if you set it on dirt the jack would settle in and be a real pain to hook up.Putting the board under should solve it. Smooreman any thing you can add or any tips for us???

10. V-Dogg

V-Dogg Junior Member

I have a 02 2500 HD and I had to "slit the plastic". Not a big deal as it is only the width of the mounting frame(about 3/8"-1/2" wide and the frame slides in and is pretty clean looking.

11. Nelsen

Nelsen Member

I don't have any problems with an 00 Chevy putting my Dogg on. Shoot, it's light enough....just get er close, slide the shaft over, pick it up and rock it.

12. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

They have a video of it showing how to mount it at the snowdogg web site

If you are having problems, most likely it is because of uneven ground.

13. Ericjr16

Ericjr16 Member

Thanks for the help. I only have a little trouble because this is my first plow, and due to recent surgeries on both my father and I, we can't push and lug like normal. I agree the plow is much lighter than the ones I worked with when I was a auto mechanic. I used to work on Meyers that the Chevy dealer i worked for in the '90's installed. I also have uneven ground that isn't frozen either! LOL so we have some issues! I had some boards under it, but for some reason, either the truck settled or the jack because I was having trouble lining the pins up. We will practice with it and move it around until I find better ground. I have noticed the back of the plow blade has a little rust in a scratch,on the Stainless steel looking backside. I don't think that is Stainless! That is the only thing I can complain about! I didn't get enough snow to try it yet! Well, thanks again everyone!

14. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

yeah rocking the light or head with pins disengaged and they pop right in

15. mfw1fan24

mfw1fan24 Junior Member

16. Ericjr16

Ericjr16 Member

Well got a surprising amount of snow yesterday. I had to get plow on in the dark at 6:00am, it is easy to put on now that I used some of your ideas! I used one 2x4 for the jack to slide on. I used a pair of steel bed frames for the plow! It made sliding it into position very easy! Sounds weird,but worked better than the wood. It plows real good.I wonder if I need a bigger alternator though. Stocker is 105 amps. Seems ok though. I will try to get pictures of the mount this weekend. I work 8-5 so always dark when i could take pics!

17. Ericjr16

Ericjr16 Member

Hello, here are the pictures you asked for!
    Hope this helps!
    Eric

DSC01285.jpg

DSC01282.jpg

18. mfw1fan24

mfw1fan24 Junior Member

Thanks a ton
    Looking at either a Western HTS or MD-75